Author Topic: "Pre-75" Kawasaki 4-stroke  (Read 5391 times)

Offline farmer58za

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
"Pre-75" Kawasaki 4-stroke
« on: December 15, 2013, 03:47:01 pm »
Hi All
I got this Bighorn roller for cheap.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/farmer58za/F9-3_zpsb0c69ddb.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/farmer58za/F9-1_zpsfd58834e.jpg

I have also been pledged a KLX250 motor. I'm thinking of putting that motor in the frame for use in the Pre-75 class. It's not age/technically "correct", but it'll be a nice concept and all Kawasaki parts.

Regards
David
Dave's not here man

Tony T

Re: "Pre-75" Kawasaki 4-stroke
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 04:21:54 pm »
KLX250, in Pre 75?
I hope you're joking?  ???

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 04:32:21 pm »
Things must be a little looser in South Africa :). Don't do it David, that Bighorn's too clean and original.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline farmer58za

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 04:51:42 pm »
Yes, it's a bit off the wall. Bighorns were rare here, even when they were new! I have yet to see an old one here, now.

The KLX motor (late '70s) technically should force the bike into a later class but it's hardly an earth shaker! We are extending our VMX classes to include dual purpose bikes or "Street Scramblers as we know them. That's what the aim of this would be.

For the purists: I'm not a great fan of hacking things up so it's a "bolt-in". Pipe, tank and side covers would all be spared.

Regards
David

Dave's not here man

Offline mosderek

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 02:42:48 pm »
here's my bighorn project. i have both the klx and an f5, if i were you id find an engine. no power compares to the power of the f5 when you get it to run right. unfortunately they lost popularity due to there temperamental nature of the rotary. i was even able to find the stinger pipe. of course i do LOVE my klx250 also, but power is absent compared to the f5 350. good luck let me know if you need parts i have tons of used f5/f8/f9 parts.
99 problems but a clutch ain't one. -Vespa

Offline farmer58za

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 10:08:27 pm »
Hi Derek
Your F5 is looking good!

Co-incidentally, the ('74) F9 roller and the box of KLX stuff arrived two nights ago. I already have a F5 MX, so I don't really want to chase up another motor for this one.

http://s215.photobucket.com/user/farmer58za/media/F5MX3.jpg.html?sort=3&o=41#/user/farmer58za/media/F5MX3.jpg.html?sort=3&o=41&_suid=13939310551340730378037340705

I'm trying to concentrate on finishing the motor on my Kawasaki 100. Then I may look at the F9/KLX.

Regards
David
Dave's not here man

Offline mosderek

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 07:26:44 am »
FARMER! DIDNT REALIZE IT WAS YOU! form the kawasaki singles group right???? you sent me tons of bighorn articles i do beleive! good to find you again haha! how is your bighorn mx?

Offline mosderek

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 07:28:58 am »
also farmer do you know what front end you have on your bighorn? im only getting 2" of travel up front on mine and it's terrible!!!

Offline farmer58za

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 11:39:33 pm »
Hi Derek
Thought it was you!. I see you have the "dreaded Hatta forks" on yours. I have no experience with these but that Dirt Bike test I sent you may give some clues.  If you are getting only 2" travel, there may be something wrong with the set-up. Check for:

1) Forks binding up. That could be a combination of a bent fork legs/axle and/or bent fork brace. Remove the fork brace and see if the forks work better. Then loosen the axle clamps and check again. If the forks work better, whip out the front wheel and remove each fork leg. Check the straightness by rolling them on a flat surface like your granite kitchen tops (sorry love!). Do the same with the axle. If the forks are both slightly bent, a cheapie solution is to re-install them with the bend facing "backwards". That way they will both act in parallel.
If the axle is bent, best get a local mechanic or bike shop press it straight.
The fork brace should fit exactly on the mounting lugs. Any attempt to pull up gaps with the bolts may cause the  forks to bind.

2) Forks full of water. Could be a mess in there..... . While the fork legs are out, remove the caps and drain them. Check if they will move smoothly over their full travel.

3) Fork springs too hard. If there are spacers on top of the springs, you can remove some of them.
Fork springs should be 474mm long (as per manual)

4) Forks too full of oil, or oil too thick. Replace oil with 175cc of SAE 10W. (as per manual)

The latest Bighorn roller ('74) I have, also has forks that seem "solid". Will have to inspect those too.

Regards
David

Dave's not here man

Offline mosderek

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 05:05:33 pm »
David that helps tremendously. I did completely disassemble the shocks and put new seals and oil in but was unsure of how much so I could have easily put too much in. And when I took them apart I did check for straightness of the upper tube. I will however remove the brace and drain and replace my oil with the proper capacity you have provided and see if I can get the correct travel out if these things. Since day one you've been a lifesaver thanks again David!

Offline mosderek

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 06:20:09 am »
David! you were correct! too much oil! Maximum travel restored! still doesnt look like 7 inches when they bottom out but will have to do for now. Thanks again!