Author Topic: is it ok to cut spokes??  (Read 2118 times)

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
is it ok to cut spokes??
« on: March 10, 2014, 10:56:46 pm »
I have had a lot of trouble with some wheels I have been building for my rd250 all other wheels I have done have been pretty straight forward but these ones are giving me trouble.

I originally bought some spokes off ebay thailand ones first mistake didn't fit properly the rear was terrible the spokes passed so far through the nipples so I bought some stainless steel ones with stainless nipples the front spot on no drama and I have got it nice and true spokes ended up just under flush of the nipple heads.

This is the front.

Spot on big thanks again to yamaico Pete for the rim I had it rechromed and I am very happy with it as my other one had a massive flatspot.

But here is the thing the new stainless rear spokes seem to be a fraction long they are not tight when they are flush in the head of the nipple so to get them tight the spoke would have to come through so is it wise to cut the excess off so they don't stab the tube and I can torque them up.

Also there is a bit of a flat spot any way to eliminate that or is it ok to leave I had the rear rechromed and I hadn't noticed it so it isn't a real bad one but noticable on the truing stand with a slight hop in the rim.

1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: is it ok to cut spokes??
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 11:36:05 pm »
Hit em with angle grinder. Simple effective and it's what the majority of shops do. Just take your time. Make sure that it's a new grinding disc (not a cutting disc) and use it side on.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 12:31:29 am »
So you mean tighten them right up then knock of the excess sticking through so I don't have to de lace it all?

I am pretty sure I have seen some ones with evidence of grinding before the Thailand ones I had were shocking for both length and bends were wrong as well and the nipples sucked burr so easily.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 03:26:56 am »
Best way to do it is remove the offending spoke & grind off the amount needed plus a little bit on a offhand grinder the use a wire brushing wheel to remove any burrs in the thread

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 10:15:45 am »
What Bahnzy said. Tension the spokes and true the rim, then carefully grind down the extra bit of the spoke that sticks out.

It's not glamorous, but it works very well and is simple.

If they're consistently too long, you can pull the wheel back down and cut the ends off every spoke. This is "nicer" but is a lot more work, particularly when you consider how fine the thread is and the need to make the cuts square and not leave the threads burred over.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 01:44:42 pm »
Yes it is every spoke is to long thanks for the all the info I will tighten and true it the best I can and then grind the excess off.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 07:08:28 pm »
Hi Michael,
No problems cutting the spokes in situ, as everyone has said. I make all my own spokes and, particularly when calculating spoke lengths, always make them a little longer (better to look at them than for them ;D). You can use an angle grinder but I usually use a ball cutter in the die grinder, which works good for me.
With regards to your flat spot in the rear rim, if it's only on the outer lip, try a piece of timber on its side, giving it a good wack with a sledge hammer on the cross. The longer the piece of timber the better.

I've straightened many rims this way. You will need an inflated tyre on the rim and all the spokes tight before you start.
Good luck with it and I'm glad the front rim worked out for you,
Pete.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 08:14:19 pm »
Thanks Pete, I will try that timber trick once the wheel is together it is not to bad it is both sides but just the outer lip pushed up a fraction.
1971 tm400 and PE's