Author Topic: Wot's a good camera?  (Read 3758 times)

Wot's a good camera?
« on: June 19, 2008, 09:26:15 am »
Whadda people reckon?  I currently use a Panasonic Lumix FZ5, which is not a bad compact digital in lots of respects - Leica lens, 10X zoom, lots of of adjustability.  But still a bit dissappointed with the quality of my bike action stills in terms of clarity.  Shutter speed only goes up to 1/1000sec, which might account for it - what do people reckon?  Do you reckon you need to go (digital) SLP to get good action pic results or just a decent non SLR digital with faster shutter speed?

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Wot's a good camera?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 09:29:15 am »
I use a Canon EOS 300D - has been superceeded now several times but goes to 1/4000th and has any number of lenses available to suit.  Photos are good and I can (currently using that is) a 2 Gb card which takes around 600 photos on high resolution.

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

firko

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 10:00:14 am »
I've got a Canon EOS 350D. I used EOS film SLR camers before I went digital and was able to use the various lenses from them on the digi. I've had no trouble with the camera and it's pretty light on the battery, not like some other digis like my Fuji and Vivitar compacts.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 01:36:36 pm by firko »

scrampics

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 05:10:21 pm »
  Like Firco, I have a 350d Canon EOS SLR.  This is the Camera I used to take the photos of the Nationals.  Using a 75-300mm IS Lens.  The faster the shutter speed, the crisper the image, especially for jumping.  I would love a Canon 40d.  Also for the faster shutter speeds but also for its higher quality in ISO.  Meaning better photos for overcast days.  The 350d doesn't like movement and low light.  ISO becomes too noisy above 400.  Everyone on track at the Nationals that I could see used a Canon camera of some model.   

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 06:35:56 pm »
I use a Nikon D70 and have found it good. Before I went to digital I used a Canon EOS-5, but the camera that I have most enjoyed was my Nikon F3 and I still miss that camera but not the running cost of film.
I like the Nikon cameras because the range of lenses is huge. Most Nikon lenses will work with the D70 although you will lose some features with older lenses.
Shooting with a fast shutter speed is only one facet of photography but slower panned shots look good too. A shutter speed of 1/2000th will stop most action, but wiser money is spent on good fast lenses. The bigger the f-stop (aperture) the fast the lense is, which means you can shoot in lower light or use a smaller iso rating.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline jackiemac

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 06:55:21 pm »

I use an olympus E-510 SLR, and I'm happy with it, just need a bigger lense, then I'll really be happy ;D

Keep Smiling
Jackiemac
Be kind to your neighbour!!

scrampics

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 07:51:36 pm »
  Low light does frustrate me as my lens is only 58mm in diameter, so I have to compensate elsewhere.  I am experimenting with panning and slowing the shutterspeed down as well.  That in itself does make an interesting effect.  I would love a 40d and a larger, faster lens, but making do with what I have.   For bikes, any photo an SLR Camera offers a whole world to create and enjoy.   :)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 08:02:21 pm »
Whadda people reckon?  I currently use a Panasonic Lumix FZ5, which is not a bad compact digital in lots of respects - Leica lens, 10X zoom, lots of of adjustability.  But still a bit dissappointed with the quality of my bike action stills in terms of clarity.  Shutter speed only goes up to 1/1000sec, which might account for it - what do people reckon?  Do you reckon you need to go (digital) SLP to get good action pic results or just a decent non SLR digital with faster shutter speed?

Well, now you have me worried...Twisties comment is a timely one as I'm off to look at one of these cameras on Saturday!
Here's the ad:

For Sale:
Panasonic Lumix Digital Camera - Model DMC-FZ50
Optical Image Stabilizer
f/2.8 Lecia DC Vario-Elmarit Lens
10.1 Mega pixels; 12x Optical Zoom (equivalent to 35 mm to 420 mm on a 35 mm film camera), Max 48 x Digital Zoom
2.0 inch LCD and View Finder
Includes extra battery; battery charger; data cables; software
Excellent condition
Cost: $425

My intended use is VMX photos. So are you saying it's no good or just no good for really serious Paparazzi?
Advice appreciated - but pls advise in Laymans terms; I'm no Photographer so I'll likely set it on auto and point.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 09:37:10 pm by Wombat »
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

scrampics

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 08:29:49 pm »
 SLR, you can still stick it on sports and get a good shot.  You can now buy 400d in a kit for under a $1000.  Sorry to scare you with technical talk ;)

Not so long ago, I didn't know what apeture or shutterspeed meant either  ;D I went from a 2MP little do it all Kodak camera to a 8MP Digital SLR.  I thought I knew how to take photos, no I didn't!  It took a month to even think about getting it off of Auto! ::)   If you do get an SLR, it won't be too long before you are wanting a little more from your photos and start experimenting.  Its how I started out not so long ago.  You'll have a ball along the way 

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 09:43:02 pm »
Yeah, a mob near me run photo courses every so often.
It can't hurt to attend; and I'd be in the loop when you lot start bangin' on about apertures, ISOs and shutter speeds...

Note to self: do photo course (and learn how to weld) before I die.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

scrampics

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 07:16:27 am »
 :D Wombat!  You wouldn't regret it.  Its really something when you take a great photo, sometimes I know I've got something straight off the camera.  But get it home, put it on the computer and think, geez, I took that!  Print if off, under glass and framed, it's a nice feeling.  To take a photo of someone riding, have them want that photo, is something I don't get tired of!  Hubby could teach you how to weld and I could teach you a little about photos  ;)

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 09:30:29 am »
wombat, the fz50 is a more recent model with lots more features (eg 12X zoom, 10MP) so probably a very decent non-SLR for vmx pics.  i'd just check shutter speed too - if its not at least 1/1500sec i wouldn't get it.  go for at least 1/2000sec.  but as the others say, its also about the lens (and sounds like optimal is one of them 'high speed lenses').

all depends on how serious you want to get.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 10:14:00 am »
is the FZ 50 one of those digitals with a built in lens????  I think the biggest improvement I saw was being able to change lenses to suit what I was shooting - dont get that with the built ins and also the "high" end zoom they talk about is often electronically enhanced.

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 12:09:23 pm »
I run a Canon 30D and its great.  One reason is I love the 5 frames per second available.  Blaze away and you are almost certain to get a good shot!  You need a good size card though - 2GB min and delete the shots you dont want often. 

It has great noise reduction too even at ISO 1600 (maybe useful for night VMX events!). 

Best thing for great MX shots is as much zoom as you can afford.  The closer you can zoom in the more exciting your shots can be.

Shutter speed shouldnt be too much of an issue if you pan.  But you have a low ISO range on the camera and need to slow the shutter speed down to get enough light then the image stability features are handy to avoid camera shake.

Have fun and with digital you can take heaps of shots and are bound to get some good ones!
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE