Author Topic: posting an O ring from the U.S.A.  (Read 4415 times)

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
posting an O ring from the U.S.A.
« on: January 31, 2014, 02:37:18 pm »

Hi Gents,

what should it cost to post an O ring seal, one only, from the U.S. to Sydney?  I just paid over $10 which whilst not a lot of money I feel is a bit expensive for such a light weight and small part, an envelope express from there (west coast) is currently around $2.60  according to my mate in Indio Cali.???

Kt

Tony T

Re: posting an O ring from the U.S.A.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 02:54:40 pm »
Just a thought, but it doesn't take long to rack up 10 bucks in packaging, petrol and time to take it to the P.O.........

TM BILL

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 03:00:18 pm »

Hi Gents,

what should it cost to post an O ring seal, one only, from the U.S. to Sydney?  I just paid over $10 which whilst not a lot of money I feel is a bit expensive for such a light weight and small part, an envelope express from there (west coast) is currently around $2.60  according to my mate in Indio Cali.???

Kt

Why not buy one in Australia if its only an O ring

or 

Why didn't you go and collect it and save yourself the pain  ;)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 03:03:18 pm by TM bill »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 03:01:38 pm »
$1.60 for a normal envelope via normal USPS airmail. Surely the O-ring was available here?
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 03:16:57 pm »
$1.60 for a normal envelope via normal USPS airmail. Surely the O-ring was available here?

Not 100% sure and I didn't have a correct sample to measure, I do now!  Seal was $3.80 aud and postage worked out at $10.80aud, I didn't mind paying it but when I gave him good feedback but the "neither impressed or unimpressed" star rating for postage he got his nose out of joint!  Didn't matter that the package had a $2.60 cost stamp on it!!!  Pedantic I know but I reckon its best to let people know about their service, both good and bad. Same seller had a bell crank I wanted, $40usd plus $149usd postage......no sale on that one, he had a cylinder head $29usd plus you gessed it $149 usd postage, he lost both sales, to me at least!

I seems a LOT of people in the U.S. are making money out of the postage when they cant get the dollars they want for a part. Another example I can think of is $650 worth of nos Suzuki parts I wanted, 650 plus 186usd postage...NO THANKS bought the lot at an Ozzy dealer, total cost was just under $750aud, have since spent more than $2000 with that same Oz Suzy dealer, i'll only buy out of the U.S. now if I cant get it here.

just my opinion,
Kt

TM BILL

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 03:27:25 pm »
All shit aside it is what it is , an increasing number of people in the US wont sell to this part of the world anymore , and i can understand why.

Its the sellers progative to charge what he likes ( nice if he discloses the cost before you buy ) but personaly im just gratefull to be able to buy stuff that i cant get here .

I had a bloke here moan about i book i sold on trade me , i charged him $4.00 to send it ( what i estimated ) post was $2.90 so he gives me bad feedback .

I explained that in the unlikely event we trade again, i will write his address on the cover of the book and stick the stamps directly on the book and save all that silly waterproof padded bag i sent the last one in  ::).

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 03:31:14 pm »
All shit aside it is what it is , an increasing number of people in the US wont sell to this part of the world anymore , and i can understand why.
Its the sellers progative to charge what he likes ( nice if he discloses the cost before you buy ) but personaly im just gratefull to be able to buy stuff that i cant get here .

Yep agree totally, BUT i reserve the right to answer the feedback honestly, i still gave him a good rating, he just didnt want me to mention the post, tuf luck.

Kt.

Offline Michael Moore

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Euro Spares
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 03:32:08 pm »
Here's the US Postal Service shipping price calculator:

http://postcalc.usps.com/

If it can go into a letter-sized envelope, weighs 3 ounces, is a maximum of .25" thick and gets the surcharge for not being able to go through the sorting machine so it has to be hand processed, it looks to be about US$3.33.

cheers,
Michael

Offline cappra

• Legend
  • Glendale, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Southwest Montesa
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 04:19:55 pm »
I sell a ton of parts to Australia and New Zealand. At least 60% of my business is with these two countries. I only charge the actual shipping charges as shown on the USPS website. I don't
understand the mindset of my fellow citizens, who will not mail overseas. Making out the customs forms takes just a few minutes and the USPS website holds your hand thru the whole process.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 05:21:09 pm »
If 10 bucks postage is of a concern I'd hate you to meet the curry muncher at Auckland Airport Currency Exchange that offered me 88 Pacific Pesos for every 100 AUD.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline davidmc

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 11:52:51 am »
Can anyone recommend a Frieght/Customs clearance Agent in Brisbane?
Cheers

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 12:38:57 pm »
Can anyone recommend a Frieght/Customs clearance Agent in Brisbane?
Cheers

a mate of mine and myself have had some good service out of DDR up there, he's on the Gold Coast now though.

Kt

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 10:22:35 pm »

I had a bloke here moan about i book i sold on trade me , i charged him $4.00 to send it ( what i estimated ) post was $2.90 so he gives me bad feedback .

I explained that in the unlikely event we trade again, i will write his address on the cover of the book and stick the stamps directly on the book and save all that silly waterproof padded bag i sent the last one in  ::).

+1
I bet if the shoe was on the other foot and you only quoted him $2.90 but actually cost you $4.00, and you asked for the other $1.10 he would have said no way, you stuffed up not me....

Offline ELC hunter

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 04:08:12 pm »
Might be easier to buy O ring kit,where you make your own to what ever size you might need .Or was it special material.