Author Topic: what the difference  (Read 3429 times)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
what the difference
« on: June 01, 2008, 01:52:08 pm »
between a 81 maico rear wheel hub and a 82

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: what the difference
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 03:28:26 pm »
About  12 months............not real helpful am I paul.

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 09:39:36 pm »
The '82 hub has a lip that sticks out just below where  the bottom edge of where the sprocket sits .It must have been designed for better sealing , but probably didn't work  (because they went back to the '81 style hub in '83 apparently ) . An '81 backing plate won't fit an '82 hub unless this lip is machined off . Alternatively , Maico Only make a backing plate that allows you to use an '82  rear hub in an '81 bike . Mainly Maico sells these .
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 01:53:54 pm by Husky500evo »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 06:02:16 am »
  i rang les and asked none in stock (backing plates)  on order  getting all the bits for my franken bike tell me are the 79 rear brake mechanism the same as 81 and will that work in a 83 hub  then i can use the backing plate from les
the brake mech seems to fit in the hub ok  and the 82 brake shoes seem to be the same as earlier one and they fit so will see how it goes
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 06:26:11 am by paul »

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 07:58:02 am »
The '81 rear brake backing plate is different to all earlier ones ( & the '82 ) in that it has a lug that fits into a slot in the swingarm . The earlier ones & the '82 use a torque arm setup to anchor the brake plate . If you are going to use an '81 swingarm ( about 2 inches longer ) on the Frankenbike you will probably need one of the '81 style lugs to attach to the backing plate . As far as I am aware the '79 mechanism, ( that holds the shoes ) that the backing plate bolts to, will fit.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 09:26:30 am »
ok then i know were i can get a 81 swing arm so all i have to do is get the backing plate that will fit a 82 wheel and then fit  the parts from the brakes internalls  i supposed i can pull the back wheel off themy 81 and have a look at the insides to be sure off what i need 
ive got a 79 rear wheel and a 82 but the 82 is in better nick

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 08:11:40 pm »
Hey Paul - Brendo is right the 81 and 82 are different in that the dust seal lip (which doesn'twork lol) varies. As you would know the 82 used a cast backing plate and a brake torque arm as opposed to the 81 plate with the lug that aligns with the slot in the swingarm.
Brake plate castings can be interchanged between lots of models and given I've got afew bikes to check with find a great variation between plates used with the lugged shoe pivot pin the common factor - even old 400 and 501 plate casting will work. Of course the sheet alloy cover plates are more model specific. If you want an 81 style pin let me know as I am planning on machining a bunch up.
Are you going to use a Maico Only alloy arm from Les?
As to the wheel remember the 79 and 81 had different lace patterns and bolt diameters for the sprocket bolts. All depends on how hard you think you can ride the thing when you're done.   
Cheers
Dave Mac
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 12:39:27 pm »
dave the best rear wheel i have is a 82 wheel and stackers are makeing me a brake set up  that will work with the 81 swing arm / you can according to les  you can buy a billet backeing plate the you can use for the 82 wheel for the  81  alloy arm  ive got ,
if you do make those pins im getting on in age so i would like one BUT i cant see my self lasting that long so if you do and can send it then i will send you a self stamp address envelope  to put it in could you give it too you son to post thank well in advance even  try carrier  pidgeon they would be quicker than  what happened last time , and you still havent said if you have finished any thing YET

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 03:42:48 pm by paul »