Author Topic: Cycle Factory XL Evo  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Michael Moore

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Euro Spares
Cycle Factory XL Evo
« on: February 23, 2014, 04:19:21 pm »
I remembered that when I tried to get a friend interested in VMX about 23 or so years ago his friends at a local cycle salvage sold him what he was told was a Cycle Factory-framed XL250.  However, it was a short travel Evo with what I think are the Wheelsmith Maico forks with extensions on the bottom (forks now in a box in my storage) and not a pre-75 bike that he was supposed to be looking for (I don't think AHRMA had any evo classes at that time).   Carl had never ridden dirt so he basically took what they wanted to sell him as being what he needed.  That project ended up going nowhere and being given back to the sellers.

I rummaged in my box of photo prints tonight and found some photos which I thought people might be interested in.  There are four that show the bike "as purchased" and the other two show it after he'd cleaned it up and changed the forks to something with 7" of travel.

I have a veglia recollection of the front brake being an aftermarket item (Fairway Yamaha in SoCal comes to mine as the people who sold it).

cheers,
Michael

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
Re: Cycle Factory XL Evo
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 09:32:23 am »
Great looking frame Micheal. It would make a great Pre78 build for me with a XL420 motor in it. What a shame it went back to the sellers...
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Michael Moore

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Euro Spares
Re: Cycle Factory XL Evo
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 05:45:43 am »
http://cyclenews.uberflip.com/i/125794/4#

should get you to a 1972 article on Cycle Factory in the Cycle News archives (which I wasn't aware were on line).  It let me through when I selected the free preview.  I've got most all of the 60s/70s CNs on hand, but the price for a sub to the archives seems reasonable enough that using them and a search engine is much more appealing than pulling the boxes of fragile old newspapers out to try and find something.

cheers,
Michael