Author Topic: Catalina Park.  (Read 8408 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Catalina Park.
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 12:30:11 pm »
The lake in the middle of the Catalina track pre dated the actual race circuit by almost a decade. It opened in 1952 as a tourist swimming hole and amusement Park. An ex WW2 Catalina flying boat was berthed permanently on a concrete block in the lake in 1952 but because of vandalism it was removed and cut up in 1958. The race circuit opened in 1960. I love the photo below showing the speedboat whizzing by only metres from kids swimming. The lake's pretty small so the boat must have been a 'hot laps' joy ride attraction.  Below the 'then' photo is a shot of the lake today taken from roughly the same spot....note rock...................http://www.speedwayandroadracehistory.com/catalina-park.html

Below is the same corner in 1966 and 2009 showing how nature is slowly taking over the place.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 12:34:28 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 01:39:49 pm »
they are clear pictures Mark for a website or yours?. how many meetings did you go to at that circuit. Did you also go to Warwick Farm? and any other older tracks?
Some of the photos are mine and others courtesy of Mr Google, Shane. I don't think I missed too many meetings at Catalina, before I got my licence and a car we used to leave home at 4am, catch a bus to Central Railway station and catch a train to Katoomba. More times than not, we'd then sit in the dense fog until it lifted at around 11am and they could start the races. We also rarely missed a Warwick Farm meeting, early on  my Dad would take me and he'd flash his police badge to get us into the pits to see his mate Max Stewart who drove open wheelers and to me it was like meeting Stirling Moss, it was so glamorous and exciting. Later when we got our own cars we'd always end up at Creek Corner which was like being on the Hill at the SCG or Bay 13 at the MCG, it was the hoon capital of the world...the press called the Creek Corner spectators Creek Corner Cretins in an article and it stuck to the point that some had Creek Corner Cretin t shirts. My mate always took a large family sized Custard Tart just to throw at people and others would throw rotten fruit, eggs and even the occasional turd.....it was that kind of place ;D. Like Catalina, Warwick Farm is still essentially there but parts of it were built over for extensions to the horse race track a few years ago. Seeing F1 superstar Jochen Rindt equal Jim Clarks lap record in the pissing wet, full fields of top line Formula 1 racers in works F1 cars dicing for the Tasman Series,  the great Beechey, Geohegan, Jane (and others) V8 touring car wars in the late 60's and a young Alan Moffat dicing with Jim McKeon in their Lotus Cortinas were brilliant sights that can never be repeated. It was genuinely one of the great tracks of the world and a tragedy it was closed before its use by date.

Warwick Farm Formula One Tasman Series 1971 with 1000 Creek Corner Cretins in the background.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 02:58:16 pm »
 How about memories of Parramatta Park.
 I remember going to meetings there in the time of the early circuit which continued down along the river bank.
 The later events cut out that section of the track after several drivers and riders came to grief in collisions with the trees along the river bank.

I got my first look at a new Allard sports car on the back of a track for display. Powered bu a side valve V8 Cadillac.

I remember combined car-bike meets there with the old names, Harry Hinton, etc plus in the cars Frank Klienig, etc.  That was during the days while my ol' man was around, him being a petrol head and some time competitor in car events we often found ourselves at there or Mount Druitt with him knowing lots of the drivers and also lnowing riders like Tony McAlpine, Stan Ward, through his work as a motor mech.

I do have some slides I took at Catalina of bikes in the fog. One of the Merrylands riders there won an event there and I asked 'how could you see where you were going?' he replied ' there was a line a couple of inches wide I was following, turned out to be an oil slick'!
 cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 10:29:07 pm »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/18489345    Parramatta Park track