Author Topic: 1981 Suzuki PE restoration  (Read 3930 times)

maxvmx

1981 Suzuki PE restoration
« on: January 12, 2014, 03:45:29 pm »
I completed a 250X restoration a while ago now and upon reflection there are afew items on it that could have been a bit better. My intention was to faithfuly reproduce what I could without throwing generic Chinese crap at it but some of the stuff that let me down (despite best efforts at the time) were,
After market rear guard - poor finish, poor fit.
Tank graphics - peeling off as we speek.
After market south Bejing tail light, it's red but that's all it has going for it.

I don't want concourse just something shy of - is that a reach or what?

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 1981 Suzuki PE restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 03:58:50 pm »
It is hard I am doing a concourse one at the moment and it isn't as fun as making a nice rider cause you all ways stressing I need the right bolts I need the right paint etc etc.

Then the rear guard I feel your frustration if you want an original finish it is really hard to get a good original and dc's one will work but it is the wrong colour and not shaped exactly right.

I have heard of people super gluing or using silicone to stick the decals on the tank this is a problem with any old plastic tank nowadays.

Definitely able to get it a bit nicer but you need to be prepared to spend some money as the rear guard and tail light are a bit hard to find.

1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline PE sicko

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 10:41:41 pm »
Yes Drums' I feel your concerns. The original nos rear guard is a fairytale in my opinion and I wont spend $700 on one, that would be 20% of the bikes value just there.
Same with the special tool, I had to have some made, and only got it done thru Frosty's goodwill to lend me an original for a couple of months for an engineering place to replicate. Thanks again mate!
I was trying to make my 250X perfect as well, and its a beautiful bike, I just had to make sure the perfection didn't consume me and effect the motivation. Its only a matter of time before higher qual rear fenders are available and you can replicate the white decal on it to give the original look for the meantime. Tank decals will be ongoing misery whilst it has had fuel in it. I fit an old ugly tank when I start it up, and put my restored tank back on to look great if its going to sit for a while.
I still have to somehow find indicator mounts, battery box, and some small nitpicky things too.
You'll get there with it, ol' mate.
Why do I have to keep repeating the Old Bull/Young Bull story?
Your an EMO kid? Pfft, Tsst. Go away or I will get my axe.
Suzuki PE250X (One of the best around)
Yamaha TY175 (Wear this thing like a G-String)
Montesa Cota 348 Trail (Boyhood Dreambike)

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 12:11:08 am »
Hopefully when 3d printing becomes bigger we can make a lot of parts ourselves.

I have one that I am doing and it is enjoyable and frustrating at the same time I order a
Nos bolt and it comes and it is wrong superceeded etc and that is annoying I also had forks that wouldn't come apart the only set I want to have mint won't come apart you have to be joking I bought the special tool I just have to wait for it.

In my opinion you need to set a goal in your head even with a near perfect resto some one will be pointing out minor things for example the fork legs from factory weren't all polished you can see which sections were and were not then you have to clear them then you have to try and find nos boots one thing leads to another and you have spent a small fortune in no time.

1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline HL500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 10:39:19 am »
I confer with all your comments.  But there are still opportunities out there. Trouble is you have to be looking always.  I have PE400X that I had restored and used some aftermarket parts.  But over the last few years I have been able to find the tool set, NOS rear guard, the elusive rubber chain guard and other things that hare difficult to find.
I recently found a set of original turning lights and a brank new speedo. Lights were $5 each and the speedo $120.  cannot complain about those prices.
I too change out the tank for starting its a pain but it works.  I also clean out the carbie as well as sometimes I don't start the bike for several months.  But I actually enjoy doing that as its valuable time with the bike.

Offline SimonC

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 12:52:35 am »
Come on, let's see a picture!