Author Topic: CMX/CDT Rider Back Numbers  (Read 9077 times)

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
Re: CMX/CDT Rider Back Numbers
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 07:40:55 pm »
OK, here we go again. I've been racing on and off for over 40 years and have managed to make it without a number on my back. I know why they're now insisting on it but in this era of transponders it seems to me to be a bit superfluous and a few decades too late :-\.  My whingeing isn't going to change things however, so where can I get numbers put on my jerseys (screen printed, iron on??) It's more the inconvenience of having to get it done that bothers me more than the actual number itself.

Back numbers are required at club level in Vic so we have them anyway, but what happens when you attend the Nats and get a different number? Buy another jersey so you can put your "nats" number on it? Why Why Why? As Mark rightly pointed out, we have transponders at the Nats now so having back numbers is all a bit too late.
There are iron-on blank sheets you can buy online. Trace your number(s) and cut them out and iron them on.
I think a lot of sports wear shops sell individual iron-on numbers as well.
You can also use a square of white cotton (an old sheet or tee shirt) and paint the number(s) on with fabric paint. Then it's just a matter of securing to your jersey....hook and loop tape (velcro) works and is also available as an iron-on.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 07:51:48 pm »

but what happens when you attend the Nats and get a different number? in your tool box should be some electrical tape Buy another jersey so you can put your "nats" number on it? electrical tape/turn jersey inside out Why Why Why? As Mark rightly pointed out, we have transponders at the Nats now so having back numbers is all a bit too late. timing volunteers cant see the bike number plates, because some riders don't clean bike plates between each race
There are iron-on blank sheets you can buy online. Trace your number(s) and cut them out and iron them on.
You can also use a square of white cotton (an old sheet or tee shirt) and paint the number(s) on with fabric paint. Then it's just a matter of securing to your jersey....hook and loop tape (velcro) works and is also available as an iron-on.

its not that hard TBM as you've mentioned in the second paragraph  :)
Best is in the West !!

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 08:46:10 pm »

but what happens when you attend the Nats and get a different number? in your tool box should be some electrical tape Buy another jersey so you can put your "nats" number on it? electrical tape/turn jersey inside out Why Why Why? As Mark rightly pointed out, we have transponders at the Nats now so having back numbers is all a bit too late. timing volunteers cant see the bike number plates, because some riders don't clean bike plates between each race

its not that hard TBM as you've mentioned in the second paragraph  :)
No, it's not that hard Alison. Electrical tape doesn't last long on the back of a sweaty or wet jersey though....Cleaning number plates is null and void when transponders are being used. It takes the human aspect out of lap scoring. Just for the record, I do clean my number plates, along with any other built up mud on the bike  8)
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 11:09:57 pm »
Even with transponders there is still manual back up just in case something goes wrong with the transponders.  There is still lap scorers in the tower as well.  Sometimes they just use their sheets to double check.  Transponders are not fool proof (ask WEM)

Also it looks better and is good for spectators also.

As for numbers at the PCMXC every effort will be made to let riders use their normal number, but there will be some clashes.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 01:15:49 pm »
How about this then?
For some time I have thought the gear we wear is too modern in style for the bikes we ride but if you look at pics from the day we all wore bibs from time to time.
Soooo, why not approach the major sponsor to provide bibs for the racers....complete with their logo and the numbers on. That way they will get heaps more value as all pics for mags and even for garage walls will have their logo on them....forever!!
Just sayin'.
I still have bibs from Hang Ten....1977 Nationals from ACUSA park and Camel from 1987 world sidecar cross. 

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 05:14:00 pm »
Our Penrith club has bibs made in house, quite attractive and at a reasonable cost. They're durable and easily wiped clean with a wet cloth.

I was concerned over the possible difficulty at an open meeting with number change so I got an allocated number through M.A.

I also went back in history and got my old allocated No 883.
 cheers pancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 10:26:07 pm »
WAVMX always has bibs at the Nats, great club spirit. I still have mine from last time WA hosted at Narrogin, complete with Jeff Smith and Jimmie Aird autographs.

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 08:52:46 am »
If you ride somewhere and you can't use your regular number. turn your bib inside out and stick your allocated number on the inside!  ;)
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 11:35:27 am »
geezas guys,where else would you put the target  ;D ;D, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 01:14:36 pm »
So we agree that bibs are the go then.
We did a quick check with some sports shops and they do netball bibs for about $12.00 but that's in cotton.
Vinyl are more like $35.00 in low quantaties but will last years longer and as said above, they can be turned inside out etc... for other uses.
We need to talk to Shannons, Penrite, Lucas et al to see what they think....but go to them with some pics of old GP riders and Mr MX meets with them in use and describe how they are around for years.

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 01:29:39 pm »
Never been a fan of bibs, Rather stick number on armour or shirt.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 02:43:37 pm »
www.vintageracewear.co.uk

Camel bibs - but expensive at 24.5 GBP
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline gt96

• C-Grade
    • View Profile