Author Topic: 1984 Honda XR200RE  (Read 1534 times)

Offline AdamN

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
1984 Honda XR200RE
« on: November 11, 2013, 12:53:44 PM »
I have reluctantly decided to put my trusty little XR up for sale.

This is a great reliable bike. It has had a good second hand engine put in it as the original had worn the cam journals in the head. I took the head off this engine to inspect it and it is very very good. There are no stripped and heli coiled threads anywhere, the cylinder has no damage. I had a basic head service done, lapped the valves, new valve stem seals, new cam bearings and new rockers where needed. This engine has no wear on the cam journals like the old one and needed very little work. It starts first or second kick regularly, has no engine knocks or rattles and blows no smoke. Before I installed the engine I pulled the clutch cover off and cleaned out the crankcases of any oil sludge and installed a new gauze filter in the oil pick up.

It has had the rear shock re gassed, oil changed and new bump stop etc. Forks have been stripped, cleaned and new seals installed. There is no rust on any of the forks or shock shaft. I have been right over it from front to back and replaced wheel bearings, suspension bushes and whatever it needed. Has near new chain and sprockets, new seat cover and too bag, tyres have only done a couple of rides.

It has all original Honda plastics which have polished up with a nice shine, the front guard is a little faded and scratched. Has very good wheels with no cracks or flat spots, has original un damaged fork boots. Has an original speedo which is a little crazed on the clear screen and it makes a whirring noise when going, but they are near impossible to find and this one works. Has a new speedo cable. All the lights work, blinkers, front and rear brake lights, hi - low beam, horn etc, it could be registered very easily. If there is no interest I will probably rego it myself.

It is a good reliable honest  example of an XR that hasn't been abused to death, and has an engine that looks to have escaped the self destruction that these are renowned for, and still has all of the original electrical components. I rode this around both days at the recent Cookardinia Vinduro and  it didn't miss a beat, and didn't use a drop of oil. While it does have some faults, the muffler has a couple of dings, and some numpty had welded footpegs to the swingarm, it is a great Vinduro mount which really doesn't need any major work doing.
I have another swingarm to go with it to replace the one on it complete with new decals, I have the old engine with a good bottom end, spare carby's, airbox as well as spare original plastics and a few NOS bits and pieces.

I would like $1500 for it with all the spare bits I have to go with it.

Cheers
Adam

'82 PE175Z, '92 YZ125D1, '93 WR500ZE, '13 KTM350EXC-F, '16 Husky TE300

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
Re: 1984 Honda XR200RE
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 01:21:38 PM »
Thats a great deal Adam,if it were in NZ I would be on it in a flash!