Author Topic: Stolen check  (Read 2158 times)

Offline lyle2212

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Stolen check
« on: November 08, 2013, 02:12:28 pm »
How can I check online to see if a bike is stolen or not.
It keeps asking for a Vin no. Which is 17 characters long..that's through the Revs site.

And this old dirt bike bike only has 7 characters on the compliance plate?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Stolen check
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 02:23:42 pm »
The old NSW Dept of Fair Trading REVS check pretty much had to be done over the phone - and even then, they were pretty retarded ("I know you said it has no engine, but I NEED an engine number" - so I'd just give them the number 123456).

AFAIK, it's closed down now, and it's been moved over to the nationwide PPSR.
And that the PPSR is hopeless for reporting whether something is stolen...

Ring the cops. If you ave the slightest reason to think its come from interstate, then ring the cops in the other state(s) too.

Also check stolendirtbikes.com(.au?) - its not sure fire, but it helps.

Side note: a mate bought a KDX200 but couldn't do the online check because the website was down. Seller seemed legit, but the bike was stolen... It worked out OK for him (he bought it off the insurance company), but it cost him an extra $500 and a truckload of stress and hassle).
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline lyle2212

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 02:39:14 pm »
I just bought a Montesa 250 H6 !1978 . For a song.      I know that the guy I bought it from would not deal in stolen property.   He got it as payment for work on a car,cause the dude had no money to pay him .  And to the bloke I bought it from ,it was just an old bike ......of which he knew little about.
     As soon as I saw it, my eyes nearly popped out of my head.
Anyway I will post pictures of it tonight on the Spanish forum along with all the numbers I have from the bike, regards, lyle

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 03:34:52 pm »
AFAIK, it's closed down now, and it's been moved over to the nationwide PPSR.
And that the PPSR is hopeless for reporting whether something is stolen...
I get AFAIK= 'As far as I Know' Nathan but what the fluck is PPSR? You do love a good acronym ;D. Textspeak owes lovers of good language a big apology.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 03:59:18 pm »
How can I check online to see if a bike is stolen or not.
It keeps asking for a Vin no. Which is 17 characters long..that's through the Revs site.

And this old dirt bike bike only has 7 characters on the compliance plate?

You have to go to the local cop shop my friend....OR motor transport, you will need to make sure you hve the EXACT form of the number too otherwise computer does not recognize what might otherwise be a stolen AND you really need to get it done in the state where the bike is.

Kt

Offline lyle2212

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 04:31:27 pm »
Thanks