Author Topic: What type of fire extinguisher to take to race events?  (Read 1241 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
What type of fire extinguisher to take to race events?
« on: November 07, 2013, 11:28:29 am »
Anyone have experience in putting out fires at race events?  I was just reading my junk-mail and they have some fire extinguishers for sale.  There are different types, never having to put out a rider or machine I was wondering what would be best to carry?

Versions that I've seen are; foam, water, powder and a freezing gas style.

Thanks, John
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: What type of fire extinguisher to take to race events?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 12:02:42 pm »
Water no good for petrol,oil and electrical fires. Dry powder is toxic death to any electronics new or old. Freezing gas not real flash on warm living flesh.. My choice is the foam though it too is electrical conductive. Make sure you know or are instructed on the correct use procedures as there are differences, for type of fire and extinguisher you choose.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 10:27:59 am »
Believe it or not, I have used the fire blanket I have hanging in the shed. I was welding the pipe mount on my 74 Elsinore and didn't give a thought to the fuel that dribbled out the carb when I layed the bike down. As soon as I started the weld, wooshcka, there were flames all over the bike. Like a mad man, I yanked the bike out of the base of the fire, not knowing what else to do, when the missus threw the fire blanket over the bike. Flames died instantly. PHEW
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 09:21:26 pm »
In my opinion dry chemical is the best and applies to just about all types of fires.
I work in mining and every machine on site is fitted with an automatic and manual dry powder fire system,plus hand helds.
Mining equipment is full of wiring and electrical systems and does not show any major ill effects after the fire system has gone off (it does make a mess) if it is washed off as soon as possible.
I would rather have a messy bike than a toasted bike or garage!

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 09:55:09 pm »
  is full of wiring and electrical systems and does not show any major ill effects after the fire system has gone off (it does make a mess) "if it is washed off as soon as possible."
  Look honestly by far... the best type of general purpose non conductive extinguishers have long been banned, they were usually yellow in external colour and used Chlorofluorocarbon yep good old CFCs.

so John best practice is to take a Foam one and a Dry chemical and keep a fire blanket handy. (I actually do that! and I also have carry and are trained in using a special type of extinguisher for fighting "flame invisible fire" ie, Methanol fires  ) But the best fire extinguisher for all of us is to be safety conscious and prevent fire starting in the first place ;) Cheers
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 10:14:12 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.