Author Topic: Neck Braces  (Read 8363 times)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
Re: Neck Braces
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 11:43:57 pm »
Well I'm shorter than six foot... which is why I wear my MX boots under my day clothes, but it's the five foot whoopdees that surprise me...
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2008, 09:10:00 am »
its funny, we often fantasise about having 'rich loamy soil' to race on, like they have in the states (not cal) and nz, but you forget just how much loose soil ruts up and makes for horrendous solid ruts both in the direction you're going in (meaning any hesitation and you cross rut and go over) or across the track ruts (which mean your corner entry and exits put you all over the shop).  conversely, i always used to think what a shame it was that fairbairn park had this rotten hard as rock clay 'soil'. 

well after the amcross young gig where all that 'rich dark loam' turned the track into a navigational nightmare (vmxman will confirm - he thought it was a good trials track), i now see fairbairn as blessed.  you can race on it all day long with hundreds of others and there's very little rutting up in and out of corners, and jumpfaces stay the same (smooth - and the safer for it). 

and now mr myers has added them truckloads of sand and sawdust to the straights, do get the loam effect but without the rutting.  we're blessed in fact!!

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 09:17:44 am »
Wombat,
Try getting to Coolum one day and see how that track whoops out, I kid you not some of the mini riders double the whoops coming into and exiting corners.

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2008, 03:27:35 pm »
Reedy was doing that in a race about 10 years ago at Manjimup.  The braking bumps were getting so big that he just slowed down a bit & tripled the last three 'bumps' into the corner.  He was saving heaps of energy doing that while everyone else was ploughing through them & getting beat up!