Author Topic: Mega 2 four ninety  (Read 4119 times)

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Mega 2 four ninety
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 08:06:16 pm »
Its an MC400

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 08:17:27 pm »
Its got the 400 engine number but it's easy to turn it into a 490

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 09:31:49 pm »
Nice clean bike. It's nice to see a bike without all of that non period billet crap and an original swingarm. Paint the pipe black and its a gem. This is the seller Dave Coupe but it may be a different bike.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:53:42 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 10:11:14 pm »
Nice clean bike. It's nice to see a bike without all of that non period billet crap and an original swingarm. Paint the pipe black and its a gem. This is the seller Dave Coupe but it may be a different bike.

Dave Coupe.....that name rings a bell Firko, how do i know it?  NorCal?  '80s racer?  I think in his ad he says northern Cali, looks like a nice bike and he DOES SAY its a 490 with 400 engine and 490 top end on it, says can have 400 top end instead ifwanted, very nice all the same, be interesting to see what it gets to.

HOW'S YOUR MUM?

Kt.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 10:25:21 pm »
Dave Coupe's a Northern California expert vintage racer and I think he's an AHRMA trustee........Tahitian Red will be able to tell us more.

Thanks for asking about the old girl. Unfortunately he's slipping pretty fast and has gone downhill quite a bit over the last few days...she's slips in and out of a dementia state and fell out of bed last night, the hospital rang me at 3.20 AM to tell me she's OK but was hallucinating and talking in Swahili, not making any sense at all. She's gone from pretty sharp to off with the fairies in a fortnight. I went into the hospital this morning and she was having a great old conversation with her dead mate Beryl and someone named Mr Anderson (who's apparently queer). If it wasn't my mum it'd be funny. The next fortnight will be life changing for both her and me.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 10:27:18 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 10:31:59 pm »
Sorry to hear about that Mark, Yep we really have to appreciate them when they are going well and thinking with reason..
Cheers Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 10:38:41 pm »
There is actualy a YouTube video of Dave Coupe's cool VMX bike collection..

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 11:16:06 pm »
[quote author=firko l
Thanks for asking about the old girl. Unfortunately he's slipping pretty fast and has gone downhill quite a bit over the last few days...she's slips in and out of a dementia state and fell out of bed last night, the hospital rang me at 3.20 AM to tell me she's OK but was hallucinating and talking in Swahili, not making any sense at all. She's gone from pretty sharp to off with the fairies in a fortnight. I went into the hospital this morning and she was having a great old conversation with her dead mate Beryl and someone named Mr Anderson (who's apparently queer). If it wasn't my mum it'd be funny. The next fortnight will be life changing for both her and me.
[/quote]

Sorry to hear that Firko, its tuff, keep your chin up, its just part of life, we ALL have to deal with this sort of thing, the only choice you have is how you react to it, you Mum would NOT want you to be too sad mate.

Just googled Dave Coupe, bit of a legend in vmx circlesover there and a very nice collection of bikes as er youtube, not a bad looking mc400 either, DOES being a tarted up 400 really matter with these, the value might suffer a little but IS the same bike after all.

Kt

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 05:46:56 am »
Dave is a great rider!  Ex factory support rider back-in-the-day.  Still in great shape and fast as lightning, but not an AHRMA Trustee.
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 09:46:12 am »

Ive got a 81 MC 490 that was fairly stock when I bought it but im slowly doing it up getting it race ready for next year.
Have a nice set of period correct Ohlins piggys out the back.
Wider MOR footpegs and the new gripper seat cover will be going on next week.
Will be changing the front and back brakes to alloy items for better braking power real soon.
Plus im changing the bevel washers to a wheelsmith spring for better smoother action.
Will be trying to keep it looking stock standard, hence ill be keeping the original swingarm and
the original pipe and silencer.
Sorry to hear about your mum Firko know how you feel cause my grandmum has dementia
and is starting to lose it... Sad times ahead.

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 03:28:23 pm »
Who said maicos don't fetch good money  :D

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 08:43:40 pm »
Never mind the bike which is beautiful.  Look at his work shop!!!!!  Lots of space and clean clean clean.

Man I would love to have space like that.  My garage is an absolute dump these days, stuff everywhere.  I go in without trying to break my neck falling over something, get the widget I need and get out quick.  Not really what I was dreaming of. 

Now that garage / work shop the seller has is something to dream about.

Maybe one day.....

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 08:55:47 pm »
The floors spotless you could eat ya dinner on it ... ;D