Author Topic: Sell whole bike or part out  (Read 2999 times)

Offline reece

• Novice
    • View Profile
Sell whole bike or part out
« on: October 06, 2013, 10:15:02 pm »
Just wondering do you seem to get more selling whole bike or selling parts?.

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Sell whole bike or part out
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 10:19:56 pm »
Just my own thoughts , you get more as parts BUT you will be tormented in hell for it and most of us will never talk to you again . Iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 10:30:19 pm »
and you end up getting stuck with the shit nobody wants. I hate parting out bikes. I know a wreckers that bought an immaculate, running IT490L and broke it up for parts. It was a travesty.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:50:51 am »
It's ok to sell parts but socially unacceptable to part out. Like sleeping with your sister! J

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 08:23:37 am »
and you end up getting stuck with the shit nobody wants. I hate parting out bikes. I know a wreckers that bought an immaculate, running IT490L and broke it up for parts. It was a travesty.

Not such a travesty for the people who needed and purchased the parts though Firko. ::)
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

TM BILL

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 09:11:29 am »
Its the old story nobody will pay for the complete bike what you will get parting it out . Its easy to be all holier than thou about these things but in my opinion its yours to do with as you wish  ;)

Unless its something really rare or exotic then wrecking it will be no real loss to the VMX world . There are way more bikes than riders/racers/ collectors , and probably more bikes available now than there were in the day with the huge amount of Yank imports in recent years .

If you want to do what could be considered the right thing work out what you think is the total sum of the parts you will be able to sell and advertise the complete bike for that amount .( prepare yourself for an onslaught from forum know alls who will tell you your dreaming and what a wanker you are etc  ::) ::) )

Put in your ad that if it doesn't sell you will wreck it therefore giving any potential saviors of old bikes the chance to purchase (save ) it and do with it as you wish before you wreck it .

As Firko says you will be left with some stuff that will be hard to sell , advertise that (after you have sold the good stuff ) at $1.00 reserve therefore letting the rescuers buy up the treasures ,if it dont sell scrap it with a clear concience .   

Offline Rusty

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 09:13:01 am »
If an engine has grenaded I see no issue with parting out, but dammit I hate seeing good whole bikes stripped & parted just for a few more dollars - it is indecent.
Poke that bone back in and wrap it up tight sport - I am racing the second moto.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 10:59:36 am »
Like Bill says, do whatever you want with it

If you part it out you may get say, six more bikes finished by others. And that is a good thing.

Instead of just the one if you sell it whole.

81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 11:12:41 am »
Good point Ted and then the genuine enthusiasts can adjust the prices back to reflect complete bike value rather than profiteering scumbags like Diggydave in the states. J

albrid-3

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 11:53:05 am »
Well I bought a CZ 125 from the states, the whole deal cost me $3500, when I finely got it home, I desided not to restore the rolling frame, I tried to sell it as a whole bike, but no interest, a couple of friends told me to part it out, I ended up selling the complete roller
for less than $2000, I still have the engine which has been rebuilt, I have relisted the engine on ebay over 4-5 times, and it all cost. so the engine can sit. I will never part out a good bike ever again.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 11:57:32 am »
 I know too well that we'd be up shit creek for parts if bikes weren't broken up. I especially mentioned that particular IT490 because it was so original. I'd tried to buy the bike from the wrecker as a whole for above market value because it was in almost brand new condition still with original tyres, but he wasn't interested. I have no problem whatsoever with breaking up bikes that have passed their use by date but I find chopping up immaculate original bikes a bit distasteful .
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha