Author Topic: Piston Gudgeon Pin Circlip?  (Read 6753 times)

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: Piston Gudgeon Pin Circlip?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 06:52:33 PM »

[/quote]
 Another trick I learned at a GM Holden school years ago, that I never saw in any manuals, was that if you grab a circlip between thumb and forefinger and squeeze the circlip will form a dish. So you mount the circlip in the groove in a way that the thrust on it forces it into the groove. Mainly applies to larger circlips but the principal applies.
 pancho,your'e confusing that method with compositive oil rings scrapers  ;),thats not in the manuals either  ::), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 04:08:58 PM »

Another trick I learned at a GM Holden school years ago, that I never saw in any manuals, was that if you grab a circlip between thumb and forefinger and squeeze the circlip will form a dish. So you mount the circlip in the groove in a way that the thrust on it forces it into the groove. Mainly applies to larger circlips but the principal applies.
 pancho,your'e confusing that method with compositive oil rings scrapers  ;),thats not in the manuals either  ::), :P
[/quote]
 No Mick! The flat circlips that retain the baulk ring on the old 3 speed Holden gearbox must be assembled the correct way in or they jump out with result damaged dogs. So I always check the best thrust side where practical on any circlip.

The old CORD brand piston rings from way back had instructions to test each segment so that the segments when assembled squeezed into the groove concertina fashion.

I still dislike seegar circlips!
 cheers

dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 09:03:42 PM »
[Holden Story], bought a blue holden 186 [1968 by memory], took a gamble as the gearchange was jammed up but think i got it to go forward & backwards in the end so that clinched the deal. Got it home & lay underneath thinking [too hard] so pulled the plate off the side where selector arms operate from & bugger me if the problem didn't become obvious straight away. Had a broken [not sure what it's called] synchro bar?--think it had 3 but one was broken & managed to get it out in two pieces so she carried on using just the two bars & operated normally so far as synchromesh goes [long time ago & memory fades]. Loved that car & had a wagon the same year & color at some stage too. In it's fading years [well, months actually] it leaked heaps out the rear crank seal so [in desperation--& i know i told this embarrassing story once before up here] i had to run disposable nappies held by a stretchy cord up in the gap between clutch & motor--worked quite well in the short term. Oh yeah, had to fit the aftermarket ally cam gear at one stage. Even used to get firewood from a supplier who had big boxes split to go & one box would fill the boot & back seat [minus seat] to the roof--[car not the wagon]. Good old Holden.

dirtrumpy

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »
HELP!!!!!!!!
                         Is there an easy way of getting "Spiro Lock" gudgeon clips in or out? Loosing patience fast!!!!

Mike

dirtrumpy

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2013, 04:57:40 PM »