Author Topic: Supercharging small engines.  (Read 6883 times)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Supercharging small engines.
« on: October 07, 2013, 05:49:34 PM »
I buried in another thread ,this link to an interesting site on supercharging Four and Two stroke motorcycles. Well worth a look and read if only for the photos of various factory and home built blown specials.  I mean a CT110 with an engine on both wheels  ;) Insanely sensible project to me.... :D
http://www.elsberg-tuning.dk/supercharging.html
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 09:44:33 PM by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Supercharging small engines.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »
Mate does turbos for Rod Millen in USA,he has supercharged 50cc pit bike and ride on lawn mower-to cool
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 10:20:49 PM »
I've got a Nitrous Oxide setup for a 500cc and smaller single that I'm busting to try one day. I saw a supercharged C110 postie bike at HBBB a couple of years ago....loved it.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 11:47:54 AM »
Here i go again back in the seventies, a friend Monty Suffern you may know him as George Furrys navigater when he used to rally before he went circuit raceing. Well Monty was a lecturer in the engineering dept at swinburn tech he actually built a blower for a Honda SL125 had areasonable amount of success with it as well i havn't had a look on the net but there maybe something there somewhere we were running a fairly modified SL100 but it used to go pretty good but not for long. I may be wrong but he may have even run the SL at the Mallee Rally
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 07:20:31 PM »
im sure the frame loved that... :D ;D

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 08:46:53 AM »
I've got a Nitrous Oxide setup for a 500cc and smaller single that I'm busting to try one day. I saw a supercharged C110 postie bike at HBBB a couple of years ago....loved it.

I saw that insane bike at HBBB as well. I remembered it as a C90 cub with a chinese 150cc motor. Talk about a man with too much time on his hands! It was great workmanship though. The plumbing was as tidy as you're ever likely to see. From memory, I think it had nitrous as well. The entire bike was detailed and polished to show quality and drew a decent crowd around it.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline mitch75

• C-Grade
  • Newcastle NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 10:15:59 AM »
Would a air conditioner pump from a car work?
Yamaha DT360a DT250b DT100c YZ400D WR250ZG.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 11:29:29 AM »
some junior sidecar (DT) lads up here ran an XL100 or 125 motor and read that they could "blow" it, so using a washing machine pump and a belt off the flywheel, set up a 'blow through' through the carby.
Fired it up and it went straight to full throttle-no way to shut it down!!! They had a good laugh though ;D :o

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 11:42:12 AM »
mitch75 using a A/C compressor off of acar is no good for a supper charger coz of no oil control as they ork in a sealed system or a closed loop system.a smog pump off of a car/light truck might pump enough air for a bike motor

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 11:44:13 AM »
 I guess you know that the reason for that is an ordinary slide carburettor needs the pulses of a single or a twin otherwise the pressure against the slide will prevent the spring from closing it down.
cheers
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 11:55:45 AM »
Pancho if that's the case off air pressure verses slide spring pressure then put a heavier spring in there.in the early 80's when the world went turbo mad Yamaha had a 650 with a blow through the carbs setup,could be worth looking at how they did it,pretty sure the suzuku was the same

Offline ghostrider

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 02:26:51 PM »
 Having returned from Bonneville speedweek back in August, I can report that turbo and supercharging is all the rave on the salt flats. I was actually lucky enough to score a timed run on a  1972 SL125 turbo charged ,reaching 40.527MPH @10700rpm. These turbo/superchargers come in all shapes and sizes ,from $300 chinese specials to home made works of art fashioned from early 1980 Porshe smog pumps. The most impressive was a home made V pulley mated to the flywheel , which was incidently shackeled to a vintage A100 , this thing actually made it to 100mph screeming at 15000plus rpm. Unfortunately this experience has given me evil thoughts of creating an adaption for my 1984 cr500 (just to see what the old girl is capable of)------maybe... ::) ::) :-\

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 02:41:30 PM »
 I think butterfly throttle is the go, although over the years I think there have been slide carbies used with linkage control.
 I am quite impressed with the idea of using 'smog air pumps'.
 There was a supercharger around developed as a bolt on for Falcon and Holden 6's in the 60s that blew through the  carby, The whole carby was pressurised. (wouldn't want the fuel blown back up the main jet)

Anyone found a suitable centrifigul turbine blower?
pancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 06:32:39 PM »

Great to see others are on the same planet as me ;)  8)

and it's not Earth! that's just a place where worms shit.. :P
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline mitch75

• C-Grade
  • Newcastle NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 06:35:42 AM »
The blow through carbie turbo/supercharger setup needs the fuel bowl to be pressurized by the turbo/supercharged.
Fuel injection is the way could be as simple as a fuel pump, tap and nozzle.
Yamaha DT360a DT250b DT100c YZ400D WR250ZG.