Author Topic: Transponders  (Read 3491 times)

magoo

Transponders
« on: May 26, 2008, 07:57:32 pm »
Anyone out there looked at the cost of setting up a transponder system for race meetings?. Which one's are the best and how much would it cost?

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Transponders
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 08:04:49 pm »
The controlling software/hardware isn't that expensive, there are several systems around.There seems to be 2 systems(I can recall the names) one that a kart racing friend uses is where you buy the transponder and the PCRA has system where you pay a deposit and hire the unit for the weekend.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline 2 shocks

• A-Grade
  • Gods Country !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 08:18:48 pm »
Very sore point, transponders. Not having gone into the nitty gritty, we as a motorcycle club, looked at purchasing the software from MV & the cost was $1300.00, but they fail to tell you that it also costs the club an additional $4000.00 for the decoder, not happy Jan !!!!!!! I feel sorry for those families who have a heap of kids riding, I bet MV are out to make a small profit on this, just like everything else. Is it to there benefit or ours ??

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 08:24:24 pm »
There main selling point is that it makes it easier for clubs to run events . I think everyone will have one soon i just hope it's not next season . I think the prices will ease with a bit of competition . I hope coz with 3 MA licence holders so far if i had to get them this its about $450 a rider .
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

magoo

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 08:39:42 pm »
MA, MVIC, MNSW have all got them and it in their own best interest to make them as expensive as possible so they can rent them for an exorbitant fee. I reckon it might be worthwhile clubs buying the basestation set up and riders supplying their own transponders. I'm sure transponders are available for less than $100 each

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 08:54:29 pm »
Transponders are damned cheap, South Africa is the world leader in transponder technology, I know we have some members from South Africa here so maybe they can do some reasearch for us,
From my initial enquiries Transponders can be as little as $15....
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 08:58:24 pm by E74 »

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 09:16:27 pm »
My thoughts, from a rider and from a member of a race committee.

AS A RIDER
I couldn't give a rats fat arse. I race to have fun and at the end of the day i know where i finished and who i battled with. For other riders it's a whole different ball game and it's all about the points and the hardware earn't. Don't get me wrong i'll bust my arse on the day to finish on the podium, but i won't (deliberatly) put myself or another rider at risk to get it. If it's worth that much to someone to get the points, then i'll buy them a trophy myself.

AS A COMMITTEE MEMBER
The sooner the better. VIPER are yet to post points for the first round weekend before last because;
1: We had riders that changed bikes and told the scorers.
2. We have riders that changed bikes and didn't tell the scorers.
3. There were riders that had back numbers that didn't match the bikes.
4. There were riders that had no back numbers at all.
5. We had riders that raced in classes that they didn't enter at sign in.
6. And to top it off the mud covered just about every number on the bike.

Lap scorers, like corner marshals and the various volunteers that put a race day together are the absolute foundation of interclub/club level motocross. In the case of the scorers they might do scoring 2 or 3 times a year and its a tough slog and very un rewarded. I have seen one of the most committed/organised mums of Moto-X (in fact she is the mum of a couple of forum members) who is a well skilled scorer all but loose it over the tally of points at the end of the day because of the points as noted above. Transponders will solve all these issues.

MY Personal Thoughts
- O/k the cost is an issue, but i look at it like this, 2 tyres and a chain sprocket kit will cover the costs, and it just become part of the cost that are asscociated with the sport.
- Transponders can be on-sold when you have finished with them.
- Getting volunteers to our sport is hard enough as it is. Having riders chastise committee members and race day volunteers does not help the matter. Taking one of the biggest tasks (scoring) away from the volunteers just makes it easier.
- From what i understand, MA, and its local controlling bodies have already settled on the brand/supplier of the system. The last thing we need is 10 different systems scattered around the country where the transponders wont integrate into each others system. Image running in the Heaven/Viper series with one transponder and then going to the Aussie Tittles and being asked to use a different transponder.
- If you want more info, have a look at the MV website (link below) and follow your nose to the transponder page.
- If i read between the lines, i think next year will see the introduction of transponders at interclub and state level.

Again, my thoughts.

http://www.motorcyclingvic.com.au
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 09:46:50 pm »
i understand the problems but i dont undersatnd the cost. they way china is and the simplistic tick per rider passing and popping up on a shitty old P4 PC the whole shabang should be under a $1,000.  Until then its another cost to going racing and one many wont pay. i include myself in that statmnent.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

TM BILL

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 06:40:39 am »
We use AMB transponders for our modern events, the transponders cost about $350.00 each and have a life span of about 3 years.Most regular competitors have their own transponders now, but Clubs do have transponders to hire for casual riders at approx $20.00 day.
Im not sure of the cost of the gear needed to run the system but i believe its somwhere between $12,000 & $16,000 .
Transponders are definftley the way to go but are an expensive option for vintage racing  :-\

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 09:04:21 am »
i thought you were joking when you posted this magoo - was all ready to post an equally tongue in cheek reply till i read other replies...... 

good thing i didn't ey?

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 12:43:07 pm »
I was looking at the QVMX web site a while back and they tell a story of receiving a Goverment grant of a few thousand dollars.
I think it's available for Club set-up or Club improvement costs etc.
From memory they've used a chunk of the money to buy a big trailer.

Perhaps QVMX can advise the politics involved but I would imagine your proposed transponders could fall into this category.
It has to be worth a phone call or an e-mail.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

oldfart

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 04:30:11 pm »
This is not new --as it was mentioned at the nationals last year by the stewarts  Coffs Harbour 
So what happens with race numbers ???? with the transponder there is no need for them  ::)

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 05:27:20 am »
Gee old fart, how many stewarts are there in Coffs? ;D
The thing with QVMX is that there aren't any points given on a club day anyway so i dont think its money well spent. If they were to hold a major meeting such as ozzie titles then just hire them for the weekend which the rider can pay for as part of entry fee.

husky61

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 12:02:39 pm »
if your organised and can plan in advance

You can hire from MNSW for $15.00 per unit. (estimate from mnsw)

If you use them for five or more meetings the rate drops to $12.00 per unit (estimate from mnsw)

at the above rate , why would you buy them.

As Brad advised , you would just include the cost of hire into the rider entry levy.

Shoey

worms

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 09:17:57 pm »
all clubs should apply to thier state gov for funding, the qvmx did this through the Gambling, community benifits fund and acquired $21 000 for club infastructure, dont get me wrong , the current committee worked hard and long to make this happen and was NOT a walk in the park to get, but the upshot is now the qvmx is welled placed to apply for more funding now our foot is in the door. so if your club needs transponders to free up other voleenteer duties the funding is out there if your keen enough.
 happy to pass on any advice if we can help.

cheers Trev