Author Topic: Guazzoni rm 125  (Read 2578 times)

Offline hagon_84

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Guazzoni rm 125
« on: September 22, 2013, 10:59:15 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has a guazzoni rm 125 early 70's from what have been told about them only 15 came to the country in around 72 73 be interested to no if there are any still floating about
Cheers AL.
1977 Hagon rm250b, 1977 yz400d, 1972 gauzonni rm125, 1969 greeves griffon 250, 1973 greeves griffon qub 380, hagon eso 500.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Guazzoni rm 125
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 10:58:11 am »
True story....About 15 years ago my mate moved into a new house, right next door to a bloke who'd amassed a backyard full of rooted old speedway and road race cars. Naturally all of them were "priceless bits of history" that he was going to restore "one day soon". One day while peering over the fence at the collection I spotted a pair of handlebars poking out of the weeds. Curiosity got the better of me and I jumped the fence to see what it was. It turned out to be an early 70's Guazzoni 125RG ISDT in absolutely complete condition except for one small thing...the head. The story goes that the bike had been brought into the country to evaluate the market but the importer didn't go through with the idea and sold the bike to my mates lunkhead neighbour.
The owner told me that he'd taken the head off to "see what size it is" and had promptly lost it in amongst the long grass and rusty cars. After sitting for a few years in the weather without a head you can imagine the condition the motor was in. The bike was otherwise in amazingly good and original condition so I offered him a couple of hundred bucks, purely to save it from further abuse. Once again, he told me that it's a rare bike (true) and was worth at least 3k (very untrue) so I left the bike where it sat and moved on.

Cut to about five years later. Ray (lunkheads name) had split with his wife and moved to London and she was selling the house and moving to the Gold Coast. One Saturday I went over and was shocked to find a bare backyard with not a nut or bolt to be found. According to other neighbours he'd hired a scrap metal recycler to come in during the week and he'd loaded two semi trailers with the old race cars, trailers and one would assume, the little Guazzoni. I was a bit pissed off that not only did the Guazzoni go for scrap but so did a couple of historic race cars including Barry Sharpe's 302 Ford powered lightweight Mk2 Jag from the late sixties era, a rusty but very cool Apendix J FE Holden and a number of bent Formula Vee and Formula Ford chassis' of various makes.  To this day I still shudder at the loss of those cars and that little Guazzoni that didn't deserve its sad fate.

*A year or so after the cleanup my mate came home to find the Guazzoni head on his front steps. The new neighbour had dug it up in the yard ;D

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:17:28 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 11:17:02 am »
Nice one Marcos. Would have a good yarn for your VMX column. J

Offline hagon_84

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 09:59:30 pm »
Yeah I was talkin to the old man this arvo about it a bit more proven products in Guildford were Koni shock importers and the guy who ran it imported 15 of them in 71 72, he sold 14 of the 15 and had one still in the shop till 94 when my old man bought it whilst doin a job there for him cost him 500 bucks in mint condition ill have to post some pics. He got it running back then and it's sat since then till now for temora, pretty rare machine but got alot of trick bits on them, rotary valve carb set up like a early kx.
1977 Hagon rm250b, 1977 yz400d, 1972 gauzonni rm125, 1969 greeves griffon 250, 1973 greeves griffon qub 380, hagon eso 500.