Author Topic: Solid alloy bars  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
Solid alloy bars
« on: August 16, 2013, 10:13:09 am »
Scored a set of solid alloy bars on a bike the other day, there very wide so I suspect they are more suited to flat trackers but does anyone use them for natural terrain mx or are they just wall hangers.cheers Andrew

« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 10:24:01 am by mavman4200p »
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Solid alloy bars
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 12:12:15 pm »
I've got Inter-Am solid bars on my flat tracker and motocross Maico, I like the bend on a pre 75 bike. I had them on my AW400 too.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 01:44:20 pm »
We all used these back in the day and I remember loving the extra shock absorbsion that they gave, but stopped using them after seeing 2 mates break them and have big get offs. Nothing like braking hard into a corner and having half your handlebar snap off.
My suggestion if your going to use them on mx is make sure the bar clamps are radiused on the edges  and check the bars for any marks you can feel where they clamp up as this may have been the cause. Secondly make sure your Ambulance subs are paid up. ;D

Stan.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 03:10:44 pm »
I fitted a cross-brace to the couple of sets I've used - a bit of extra confidence for the meek...

They have way too much sweep-back for my tastes.

I use modern 7/8" alloy bars now. The Renthal 764 bend is quite high, fairly straight and works well on most older bikes.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 03:53:18 pm »
I agree 764 Jimmy Button high bend is what I run on my rt3 and have another set for the rickman the solid ones sound a bit iffy for mx
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 04:01:11 pm »
Thanks Stan I have a set and was thinking about fitting them on one of my dirt trackers but you have got me thinkihg now  :-\
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.