Author Topic: How to start a 85 DR600?  (Read 2070 times)

Offline mitch75

• C-Grade
  • Newcastle NSW
    • View Profile
How to start a 85 DR600?
« on: August 03, 2013, 12:14:18 pm »
I have just got a DR600 with the auto decompressor on it sometimes it starts second kick and other times 15 kicks.
I know i am doing it wrong as i only have had two stroke singles and electric start multi cylinder 4 strokes.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 03:57:02 pm by mitch75 »
Yamaha DT360a DT250b DT100c YZ400D WR250ZG.

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
Re: How to start a 85 DR600?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 06:06:23 pm »
If you can try and get the piston close to TDC and give it a kick it should fire up, it may have been close to that spot when you started it with two kicks.
I rather the manual de comp set up than the auto ones , with the manual one you can pull the lever in when you need to and get piston in the right spot to start it.
The XR500 81,82 had a auto set up and manual aswell ??? , I would just use the manual set up and pull the auto one off
just my view and likes ;)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 06:10:10 pm by mick25 »

Offline dalesween

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 10:02:00 pm »
It should be as easy as finding TDC,when cold use choke,find TDC,NO throttle,key on and a nice healthy kick.When warm use the same method but without the choke.When mine was warm but found the tyres pointing towards the sky during the odd trail ride i would stand the bike upright,turn the fuel and ignition off,open the throttle all the way and give the bike about half a dozen gentle kicks through then turn the key and fuel on,find TDC and kick it over and wallah! ;)

cheers Dale.

P.S. if it is harder than this start looking elsewhere, like plug,electrics etc.

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:48:47 pm »
It should be as easy as finding TDC,when cold use choke,find TDC,NO throttle,key on and a nice healthy kick.When warm use the same method but without the choke.When mine was warm but found the tyres pointing towards the sky during the odd trail ride i would stand the bike upright,turn the fuel and ignition off,open the throttle all the way and give the bike about half a dozen gentle kicks through then turn the key and fuel on,find TDC and kick it over and wallah! ;)

cheers Dale.

P.S. if it is harder than this start looking elsewhere, like plug,electrics etc.
Totally accurate but turn your idle adjuster 1/4 turn up first, just makes it a little easier,
Pull the bike backwards in gear to find TDC.
Also probably time to replace your plug cap