Author Topic: Yamaha GT80  (Read 5581 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Yamaha GT80
« on: April 29, 2013, 03:23:48 pm »
To quote Scottish Poet Robert Burns..."the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray". I had big plans of turning this 3/76 Yamaha GT80 into a DT1 clone pitbike to match the ever growing hoard of full sized DT1 and RT1 Yamahas accumulating at Casa del Firko. Unfortunately I've got too many projects on the go so with this little bike being at the wrong end of the production line, it's the first to go. I know very little about the bike, it's in exactly the same condition as it was when I bought it off a mate who also knew little of its history. What I do know are..........
*The engine is not locked up and spins over quite freely.
*All the gears seem to be in place
*Despite its weatherworn condition it's pretty much all there, including the complete wiring loom and battery (extinct as it is), the tank and tail lights/blinkers being the only major missing parts.
*It's a sad victim of 'leaning against the back fence syndrome' with the forks needing rechroming and a lot of surface rust evident.
*The steel based seat has suffered the same fate as most Yamaha steel seats, it's rooted, broken in the middle and most probably rusted. Like anything, it can be repaired and new seat covers are freely available.
The little bike is a good candidate for a total resto like young Michaels, conversion to a YZ-A lookalike pitbike or do the bare minimum to get it going and use it as a pit ratbike. You could also go all left field and fit an SL125 Honda motor as Albert Iskra did to his....it's a surprisingly simple swap.

It's sad to see my unfullfilled dream go to someone else but given time, I'll get over it. Of course, the extra shed space and the $200 I want for it will make the experience more bearable.  PM me if you feel the need to adopt this sadly mistreated little orphan ;).

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaha GT80
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 10:43:36 pm »
BUMP Anyone interested? It's a bit like me........ ugly, old and a little rusty but with a bit of life left yet.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 10:52:30 pm »
firko,
The compliance plate/ VIN alone makes it worth at least that.
You could always get a nice yz80G, cut and shut the front section of the frame from this GT80 to the YZ, proceed to get it registered and have the craziest little caffe racer!
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 11:04:25 pm »
I'd like it if I could get it bundled american pickers style with your PE. ;D

Nice original bike despite the rust the double seat pan always snap there the front guard is worth a good chunk of your asking price hard to get one not broken my mate broke his a few years after he bought it new riding in thick mud the mud got so caught up in the guard it tilted it into the tyre and he went over the bars.

I rode it years later with the original guard mounted to the lower triple with some different brackets like the mx80 had.

Parts are pretty easy most wreckers would have a couple mx gt dt 80's great kids bike with the 4 gears straight up neutral at the bottom make a great learner bike forks are always rusted too.

1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 09:59:04 am »
firko,
You could always get a nice yz80G, cut and shut the front section of the frame from this GT80 to the YZ, proceed to get it registered and have the craziest little caffe racer!
While I can see the brilliance in your idea, I reckon 120kg of me riding a minibike on the boulevards of Sydney wouldn't be a clever look.....a bit like Humphrey.B.Bear riding Deltex Rockhopper to work ;D.

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 10:40:54 am »
firko,
While I can see the brilliance in your idea, I reckon 120kg of me riding a minibike on the boulevards of Sydney wouldn't be a clever look.....a bit like Humphrey.B.Bear riding Deltex Rockhopper to work ;D.

I have had a friend once give me the best description of watching a big bloke ride a little bike, he liken's it to "watching a monkey fu*#ing a footy!"  :D :D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 10:42:36 am by Rookie#1 »
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 11:30:11 am »
i've got a spare feul tank (white) for one of these little beasts if that helps the sale any...
cool little bikes.
my little GT/MX80 is now in the 74 MX colour scheme. 8)
"flat bickie"

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 09:54:21 pm »
Bump...........Price dropped to $150...I need the space.