Author Topic: Weslake Metisse on eBay  (Read 4965 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Weslake Metisse on eBay
« on: July 28, 2013, 10:18:22 pm »
The many who've ridden Jonesy's identical Wessy Metisse will know just how competitive they can be as a pre 70 racer. This is on the money but they're very rare with the Weslake engine. "This is an Original MK4 complete build bike and one of the first 10 sent to Steen's in California" ironically Alan's "Blue Betty" is #1 from that first group of 10.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-RICKMAN-WESTLAKE-BSA-METISSE-MK4-490cc-Original-Vintage-Motocross-/261254473324?forcev4exp=true#v4-36

1968 Rickman Weslake BSA Metisse. Unrestored. Currently sitting in a Museum near Durango CO 81328. This is an Original MK4 complete build bike and one of the first 10 sent to Steen's in California.  It was Lynn Wineland's personal bike, who managed Steen's (the importer) and he owned the bike until the time of his death in 2008.  This was not a Metisse Kit bike, but a completely assembled and ready to race model, exported by Don and Derek Rickman.  It sat in Steen's Showroom for many years and would be thee example you saw, had you visited them in the late 60's and early 70's.   The bike has the original shouldered Akront Rims. Magnesium hubs and correct "RICKMAN" spelled out backing plates.  The forks are Rickman 41mm and the triples I believe are also Magnesium. The bike is in very good condition for museum quality (unrestored) or to vintage race today.  Except for oil and petrol service, the bike is ready.  Needs nothing.   It has been fitted with an internal PVL type ignition.  It has a speedway NEB multiple 16 plate alloy clutch and the main shaft has been correctly replaced to fit it. ....all hidden behind the primary cover.  The kick lever is of the newer cranked / tucked in design.  The gas tank has been coated and is the original tank to the export itself. Decal on both sides still readable "WESLAKE BSA".   The tank top also has been signed by Don Rickman and clear taped. This is a rare bike, nice investment item, great collection addition.   These bikes do leak oil and the Weslake Conversion at 490cc, did turn the pipe blue quickly.  The bike is sold with a bill of sale only. Overseas buyers welcomed.  Shipping at buyers expense.  I should note, the rear hub is of vintage KTM but does not have a cast or KTM  I.D. on it. They are used in place of the conical Rickman rear hubs as they are stronger and do not crack. They are almost identical and the "RICKMAN" backing plate, brake shoes, axle, etc. are retained. I personally have purchased one of these complete MK4 Weslakes from Lynn and raced them in the late 60's as well as ridden this bike in vintage racing of late. The Weslake 490 has always been my favorite .  Any questions, please ask.  [email protected]  NO TITLE - BILL OF SALE ONLY   Thanks for looking and enjoy vintage motorcycles.   Ray in Colorado.  HAVE LISTED THIS TWICE THIS YEAR ON EBAY AND GONE THROUGH THE SCAMMERS AND LOW BALL WANT TO OWNS.  PLEASE, SERIOUS BEST BUY OFFERS ONLY.  THE BUY IT NOW IS VERY REASONABLE.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Vintmxman

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Weslake Metisse on eBay
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 08:43:00 am »
It appears as thou this particular bike is also number 1of 10 imported to the US...interesting....can someone talk to the value of this bike as it sits here in this eBay ad..?

Simo63

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 08:44:38 am »
That is beautiful. If I had a spare $10K it would be on it's way to Australia right now.

Offline geoff

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 10:42:55 am »

I have bought several VMX items off Ray including a BSA B44 motor that was a great deal. Ray is an excellent person to deal with and has put more into our sport than most, including several items in VMX magazine
     I am sure that the Weslake/BSA will be as described and being an original model should go up in value. I know of only two over here Westside so they are quite rare.

Simo63

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 01:50:47 pm »
No Longer Available

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 05:03:28 pm »
I spoke to Alan about his Mk4 Weslake and he told me that his is one of two that Steens brought into the US for product evaluation prior to the first shipment of ten bikes. Those first two prototypes are different only in that they have 35mm Ceriani forks instead of the 41mm Rickman items and the engine's weren't numbered. The fact is backed up by their listing in the Rickman Story book frame number list. They're very cool bikes although many say that the Weslake conversion offers very little over the stock BSA B44.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline geoff

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 05:37:02 pm »

Just heard  that the Weslake/Metisse has gone to a very good home in Pennsylvania.

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 05:49:29 pm »
Lovely looking bike and good value for such a rare beast (I would say bargain)

Some bikes do seem to be keenly priced at the moment....

Not sure I have ever seen a KTM rear hub that looks like a Magneisium Rickman hub (what load of old tosh) but that aside it looks great.  Glad it has gone to a good home.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 10:21:01 pm »
Not sure I have ever seen a KTM rear hub that looks like a Magneisium Rickman hub (what load of old tosh) but that aside it looks great. 
I was thinking the same thing Ben....the KTM hub looks more like a CZ hub than a mag Rickman.