Author Topic: Stupid Question about the DT1 GYT Kit Chrome Bore  (Read 3545 times)

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
Stupid Question about the DT1 GYT Kit Chrome Bore
« on: July 24, 2013, 08:00:49 pm »
Have done some odd ball mods & got away with them over the years but here's the "Stupid question Bit". I know my Briggs lawn mower [4 stroke] runs an alloy bore & lived to an old age so--i have a stuffed GYt Kit Cylinder & am bloody tempted to try getting it bored to take a first over DT1MX piston kit i have [or would it last 5 minutes--or less]. bottom line is it would have to go a lot bigger to fit a liner so nothing lost. Lawn mower is slow revving & lots of oil of course but i could run lots of mixed fuel anyway. Loved those chrome cylinders--just never went off song after a few laps like cast liners seemed to & stayed strong & sharp to the end. Ok, i'm back in the corner now!!. ps, can chrome 'be' bored off or is it chemically removed first?

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Question about the DT1 GYT Kit Chrome Bore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 08:38:00 pm »
Normally stripped.
There's a company down south that has a good reputation for rechroming cylinders, I know a couple of guys who have had cylinders done by them & they are really happy
http://www.nzcylinders.com/

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 09:46:44 pm »
thanks Tony, looks an interesting site, i'll have a read.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 08:34:28 am »
Briggs have special rings to run in the ally.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 08:35:01 am »
Contact Phil Grant at Norsewear/NZ Natural if you want to know more, he had a couple of cylinders done for his red rocket last year or earlier this year

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 08:44:22 am »
A bigger problem than re-plating might be finding stock bore iron rings.  Do they come up on eBay very often?
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 09:32:34 am »
We have just had an issue (twice) with a re-plated barrel on a YZ250A. It appears the new plating is too hard for the std Yamaha chrome bore rings....just rips them to shreds so to speak. We are looking at a modern ring that will fit the skinny Yamaha piston grove. We don't know if it's because the NOS rings are 40 years old or just to soft as they are a non chrome ring.....head fark.....doesn't help your situation but may save you some dollars......re-sleeve my friend.... ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 09:35:35 am »
 I think Briggs&S engines' alloy bore is anodised, which I understand is basically an electrical process like electro plating, not only used for colouration of aluminium but also for forming a hard wearing skin.

Running similar metals together like aly or stainless etc doesn't work.

cheers
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 10:26:02 am »
Just to answer the original question, the KDX400 I have here was running fine, plenty of compression, but during the transplant of the engine into a 250 frame I thought I'd tear it down to make sure all was good inside.

The Electro-Fusion bore had worn through all around the intake port and a large amount alloy was showing on down the exhaust side of the bore, the alloy was polished smooth and still seamed to be useable?

Lucky I pulled it apart, it had cracks above the gudgeon pin, the piston crown would have come of soon.

So I too was wondering if engines could happily run in an alloy (uncoated) bore?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 10:52:55 am »
..........for the umpteenth time............

Yamaha/Honda 'chrome' bores have plain uncoated cast iron rings, those rings are only compatable with the chrome(hard like on forks). I don't know anyone replating with this process now

Nicasil /Electrofusion needs a chrome faced ring the same ring as used in a cast iron bore. If you have a chrome bore now and can't find rings, find a piston and/or rings that are the correct bore size. Have the cylinder replated with nicasil. Done.

Honda had a CBR900 that ran on a uncoated bore , the coating on the ring was never disclosed

Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 06:16:47 pm »
Lozza gotta ask--you say cbr900 run uncoated bores--as in alloy piston straight on alloy bore? am i thinking right. If i risk going ahead i'd use a .25 or .50 piston & ring from a DT1mx which had a cast iron bore & [are they?] a chrome ring!!, has a green coated surface. Made the dumb mistake with my chrome gyt cylinder which was buggered anyway [worn off around ports & at tdc still ran rattly but ok] mistakenly sorted through 'best of the rest' rings & thought i found a non-chrome ring but bloody hell, just ripped it to bits in 5 minutes---lasted 45 years [1968] & i STUFFED IT. Probably won't get it re-plated as too stingy with money, just thinking out loud. Have a regular running cylinder with a wiseco or la sleeve co 'sleeve' in it & will watch ebay for a sleeve. Sleeve in this other one had a bridged exhaust port. In my [ignorant] youth i cut the bridge out & is still going ok 35/40 years later albeit now needs to go out to 1st over but a real good material looking sleeve. Thanks.