Author Topic: Period correct fastners  (Read 3045 times)

Offline AJ

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Period correct fastners
« on: July 16, 2013, 05:00:17 pm »
Any idea where you get period correct nuts & bolts etc.

I went to K&C Harris but they didn't have anything.

I bought a kit off ebay, but it has limited sizes.

AJ

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Period correct fastners
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 06:01:39 pm »
I'm not being a smart arse, I genuinely want to know what's the difference between current and period correct nuts'n'bolts? How do you I.D. old from new?
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 06:13:25 pm »
I'm not being a smart arse, I genuinely want to know what's the difference between current and period correct nuts'n'bolts? How do you I.D. old from new?

Unless he's referring to the "S" stamped heads used on suzukis I was thinking the same thing  :-\
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 06:13:53 pm »
Some of the cr bolts have an inset head with a number like 8 formed into them.
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline AJ

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 06:21:36 pm »
I'm more talking about the shape of the head of the bolts.
But yes I agree some are stamped.
The circular base to the head of a hex bolt.
As an example the ones on the triple clamps of a '75 CR.
Couldn't find bolts like this at a fastener supplier.

mainline

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 06:58:06 pm »
I'm more talking about the shape of the head of the bolts.
But yes I agree some are stamped.
The circular base to the head of a hex bolt.
As an example the ones on the triple clamps of a '75 CR.
Couldn't find bolts like this at a fastener supplier.

If you're talking about flange headed bolts, then yes you will struggle to find them at bolt shops especially in zinc plate. There are a few kits around, most bike shops sell them, or you could replate the old ones if they're usable.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 07:36:16 pm »
Unless you find them on ebay or at a genuine dealer, buy a spare complete bike to rat the parts off or go to the wreckers and start looking. Unless you are doing a 100 point concourse restoration, why bother?
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline AJ

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 07:51:28 pm »
Yes flange head bolts.
Thought if I need to buy bolts may as well get correct looking ones if they were a available.

mainline

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 08:25:09 pm »
Yes flange head bolts.
Thought if I need to buy bolts may as well get correct looking ones if they were a available.

I think it's why most people end up going for stainless socket (allen key) bolts instead.

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 08:26:11 pm »
flanged head bolts with those # on  are what hold the new bike crates together with  ;) ;) talk nicely to your nearest dealer and they might give you a hand full.

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 09:32:45 pm »
Maybe we're talking about the various AF dimensions like found on "period" M8 and M10 nuts and bolts. For example a common industry standard M8 nut or bolt has a 13mm AF dimension, where most M8 nuts and bolts on "our" bikes are 12mm AF or sometimes 14mm AF.

Also the common M6 phillips head pan head screws have a larger head diameter compared to the period style.

OEM parts are normally correct but if you can find an aftermarket supplier who imports JAP standard screws, bolts and nuts, you're on a winner.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 09:36:26 pm »
Those things are like grade 1 bolts Stewy.....designed to last 1 tighten and a boat trip. AJ, you can buy "bolt" kits from most bike shops and they have a great selection....the big kits are the way to go....about $60 retail, good quality (they come out of USA and most of the bolts are made there, not China). They can usually get certain sizes in if you need them....I'm sure someone smarter than me on here can put up a link for them. I use them in my resto's.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 07:32:59 am »
... or go to the wreckers and start looking.

I have gone down this route several times while trying to get various long flange head engine mounting bolts, shock mounting bolts etc.  The couple of wreckers that I frequently use are more than happy to let me rumage through the boxes of bolts looking for the exact lengths etc. I am usually able to get all the bolts and correct flanged nuts I want/need for next to nothing compared to the cost of buy new genuine items. I then have them re-zinc plated as a part of the job lot of plating that I get done every so often, usually for several bikes at a time.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!