Author Topic: 2013 Unadilla "Vintage Rewind"  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Michael Moore

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Euro Spares
2013 Unadilla "Vintage Rewind"
« on: June 28, 2013, 02:06:21 am »
I rode a friend's 380 CZ at the event a couple weekends ago.  The area was hammered with storms for a couple weeks beforehand and there were some very muddy spots (especially in the woods for the cross-country on Friday) but wow, what a cool track.  If the event is held again and you get a chance to make the trip to the USA for it I recommend you do so.

Some of the "Legends of MX" that were on hand were Brad Lackey, Dan LaPorte, John DeSoto, Tony DiStefano, Barry Higgins, Gary Bailey, John and Jack Penton, and Ron Lachien.

http://kgfphotos.smugmug.com/2013MXandEnduroevents

There are three galleries of photos (not mine) from the Unadilla races on that page.

Here's the Google aerial view of the track.

http://tinyurl.com/km6sdjk

It is ridden anti-clockwise.  At least one major extra turn was added that doesn't show on the image.  Ignoring elevation changes Google measures it at about 1.3 miles, so I'd not be surprised to find it a good 1.4-1.5 miles per lap.

There were a lot of flooded fields in the area.  There were plenty of muddy sections that formed deep ruts, and riding those with confidence was above my low skill level.  The first set of races on Saturday were pretty ugly (for me) in many spots but they groomed the track during the break and it was was much improved for the second set, though there were still spots where I ended up slowing and/or falling down.   The track owners did the very best they could with the spots that lacked drainage but it was an uphill battle after all the rain.

I survived without injury (though my pal broke his ankle), I had a good time, enjoyed seeing my friends, and was not always last.  :)  In fact, in the first race I got a good start (I've usually been pretty good at that) and I had the lead for a corner or two before the faster people caught up and passed me.  I'll take what small bit of glory I can get.  :)

cheers,
Michael

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Unadilla "Vintage Rewind"
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 07:15:50 am »
I've been watching that event with interest and checking out the pics and reports on Facebook, it looks like a great event and definitely on my to do list.
I have always wanted to go there since reading about the Hannah/DeCoster battles back in the 70's and i finally got to the AMA national there last year and loved the place, the track is one of the best I've seen and would love to ride it one day.

Offline Michael Moore

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Euro Spares
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 12:13:12 pm »
Dakota Kessler clearing the Skyshot on a 73 CZ in Saturday's 7"/4" VMX races:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu76GOURbOk

cheers,
Michael

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 01:07:06 pm »
   Great footage michael ! also love the mx rewind pic's great looking track ! That el-bandito replica bully looks cool is that Guy Cooper or Ron Leichin onboard ? cheers :)

Offline Michael Moore

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Euro Spares
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 01:42:36 pm »
There was a long line of those "Team Bull" bikes with matching paint.  Cooper was on one, #14.

I looked in the results and Kessler was 51B Saturday, 797 and 449 Sunday, Cooper was 14, Gary Semics 4J, John Desoto 42U.  Lechien may have only raced the Legends as I didn't see him listed for either day.

cheers,
Michael