Author Topic: Expensive bearings!! 6905 think it is.  (Read 936 times)

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
Expensive bearings!! 6905 think it is.
« on: June 19, 2013, 07:34:22 PM »
bit of a long winded story again sorry. Might've said somewhere, i went to retrieve my spare car battery from the neighboring farm, had it tied on the back of a chinese type 200 quad. As it turned out the quad had cried enough & sat down the paddock till the horse ate the seat off it [bugger--was a good seat]. Ended up bringing the whole bike home locked up in the drive somewhere which is why they 'just left it where it was'. Think i now own it whether i like it or not so decided it was in the right angle transfer box that cunningly just bolts on over the final drive shaft externally as a totally separate unit--quite neat & the same type motor is used for the chain drive quads & 2 wheelers [ this variation has reverse, below first gear]. Anyway, where was i--on dismantling i found 'not a drop of oil' & looks like it never did have from new but, doubt it. The bearings were in bits after the cages fell apart, then the balls rolled out & went through the two gears & took half a tooth off plus made a mess of the rest. But think i can get it going for a bit longer before selling it for parts or good chain drive motor. So found my common old bearing [under the bench trick] fitted two hols but the third was bloody odd, super small ball bearings, large inner race & not 'that' large outer so phoned the local bearing place & had one, but $45 stopped me [being a cheapskate], the old-fix it but 'don't' spend any money trick. So googled the measurements & "$3.95 u.s. with free shipping from China". Won't be the same quality as $45 but should do the trick [i hope]. Sorry to stretch the story out but just couldn't get over the variation  in cost. Reminds me of when i shot my genuine yamaha multi tester to smitherines, i was certain i'd turned the hot water cylinder off before testing the element--anyway--similar ability type multi testers locally were expensive so, similar story, $5 or something from China with free shipping & has worked great for a few years. Cheers.

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Expensive bearings!! 6905 think it is.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 09:18:12 AM »
I took a risk with cheap bearings in the rear wheel of my Buell and the result sucked.
They want south after 2000 k's in the middle of nowhere on our 4 day summer holiday ride and ended up costing over 10 times the price of the bearing. not counting the cost of beer during the wait for the repair and the whining from the other blokes for stuffing the trip, >:( >:(
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.