Author Topic: 81 KTM125 watercooled??  (Read 3727 times)

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
81 KTM125 watercooled??
« on: June 20, 2013, 08:59:57 am »
I know very little about this model bike, but given where the radiator appears to be positioned and the look of the cylinder and head, is it factory or an aftermarket kit? And what is that strapped between the triples??

FOR SALE
Ad # 3218264 June 17, 2013

1981 KTM 125 RV/LC

Was this the most exotic production motocross bike ever built? It would have to be in the running. I am(reluctantly) selling this bike as a project, even though it is mostly complete.

The Ohlins on the rear will need a rebuild, and the Zokes up front will need seals, although the chrome is good. The engine turns over with decent compression, and the pipe is excellent. It will need the original silencer. I believe it is still fitted with the original Metzelers, mounted on Sun rims that are dent free. The front fender is stamped "KTM" I belive DC plastics repops the rear "number-plate/Fender.

By all accounts this has to be a significant model KTM, as it is their first water cooled model. I am pricing it for a quick sale at $995.00

Amaze your friends by asking them where the radiator is!
     Scott Berryman
Missoula, MT
Phone: 406.546.1669 | Email

http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/largephoto.cgi?C=5gSGf17Hr9W2xsd9

Offline Big Bird

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: 81 KTM125 watercooled??
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:47:33 am »
It is factory. The radiator is placed horizontally under the tank from memory.

The When you think about it, it is the ideal place to package a radiator. It is nice and centrally located on the bike. It is not high up on the forks and adding to the steering effort like the Yamaha of that year. It is not down low where it can be pierced by sticks it rocks like the Suzuki of the year. It is not up behind the steering stem where we need the complexity of twin radiators to get the cooling area required, like Honda of the year. It is well protected and looks quite neatly packaged.

You only have a problem if you want it to perform any sort of cooling function...

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 11:45:41 am »
I raced one back in the day. The only real downside is there very tall they seemed quicker than anything else at the time. You can get this model in air cooled as well.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

IT400C

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 12:17:57 pm »
Mike52 on this forum used to race one of these in Enduros in '82 - and even in enduros he had no problems with overheating.

Although I thought his was a single shock..  It was definitely a radiator under the tank jobbie though..

Two of them on the starting line for the first Enduro of the year in SE Qld in 1982 (again, may be single shock versions - can't tell from this photo)

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 03:10:45 pm »
Where was the guy last on the right goin with that big tank, on safari ;D

IT400C

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 04:05:55 pm »
Hahahaha - that's Mike52!