Author Topic: SYDNEY SHOWGROUND BOOK CELEBRATION, SUNDAY, JUNE 9, AT THE ROYALE  (Read 2367 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
SYDNEY SHOWGROUND BOOK CELEBRATION, SUNDAY, JUNE 9, AT THE ROYALE

A celebration of the release of the long awaited book “Ghosts in the Bull Pens” incorporating the historical retrospective of the Sydney Showground will be held on the site of the world famous speedway on Sunday, June 9, 2013 commencing at 1PM.

The gathering will take place at PJ Gallagher's Hotel featuring a static display of some of the vintage cars and bikes that raced at the historic Royale.

Contributors to the 520 page coffee table edition – including some of the biggest names in the history of the venue – have been invited, while the day is open to all who were a part or just remember the great days of the Sydney Showground.

The afternoon of nostalgia will conclude at 5PM. Race footage from days gone by will be screened during the afternoon's activities.

It will be a day to remember “the way we were” and what the hallowed Sydney Showground meant to so many people for so many decades.

“Ghosts in the Bull Pens” was co-authored by Tony Loxley and highly respected historian Dennis Newlyn and was produced through the facilities of Sydney company Printciple Source Pty Ltd.

“I am delighted we can have a gathering at the very ground that was the mecca of Australian speedway for decades as it is very fitting in keeping with this landmark publication,” Printciple Source Managing Director, Jeff Hosnell said.

“As far back as early 2012 we spoke with representatives from the Entertainment Quarter to host this day at this very special place. I want the speedway fraternity to embrace the occasion and take the opportunity to once again visit the historic Sydney Showground,” Tony Loxley stated.

“The book celebration also represents a “back to the Sydney Showground” tribute and nostalgia trip down memory lane for those who were there every Saturday night to see speedway racing that was excitement and entertainment plus. It was a time in my life I know I will never forget and this book really captures everything the great arena was for speedway fans and competitors,” Newlyn explained.

This historic book will be available for purchase, while if you have already bought a copy, bring it along for the authors and celebrities to sign.

There are also specially printed “Ghosts in the Bull Pens” T-Shirts, as well as a full range of speedway hard cover editions, including “Liverpool City Raceway – the Place of Pace 1967 – 1989” and “Just One More” (The Speedway Photography of Bill Meyer), which can be purchased on the day.

Food and beverage available.

WHAT: Celebration of “Ghosts in the Bull Pens” book release.

WHERE: PJ Gallagher's Irish Pub, EQ, Sydney Showground, Moore Park, I Bent Street, Moore Park, NSW., 2012.

WHEN: Sunday, June 9, 1pm – 5pm.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
Re: SYDNEY SHOWGROUND BOOK CELEBRATION, SUNDAY, JUNE 9, AT THE ROYALE
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 09:31:27 pm »
BUMP, BUMP, BUMP.
Brother Carlos and I will be there but the list of legends who will also be in attendance is growing by the hour.
And I mean Drivers and Riders inc Sidecars.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 09:51:15 pm »
I got an invitation today......Depending on my dear old mothers hospital progress, I'll be there.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 06:56:48 pm »
Hey Blokes,
If I send some $ I'd like to get  both books and a T- Shirt xxl.
Whatdaya think? :-* :-*
cheers   Mark

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 06:59:08 pm »
 Shit, I meant all three books ::)

Offline piney

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 08:16:26 pm »
Hey Slidz !!! catch up with ya for cold one  ;D

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 09:04:23 pm »
Will do Steve, should be a good day.
I can get the books and shirt for you Mark, I'll try to find out how much it'll cost ya.

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 04:37:59 pm »
http://fullthrottlepublishing.com.au/en/ghosts-in-the-bull-pens-t-shirt/
Hi Mark or anyone else interested, if you click on the link above you can buy the Liverpool & Showground books and the Tshirt. Not sure about the Bill Meyer one though.

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 05:42:58 pm »
What a great place..!! I can remember we went there in about 1975 with Johnny Fenton and raced a SESCO speedcar for 3 weeks.. I can remember distinctly , warming up the speedcar in the pits under the grandstand.. the whole place was full of nearly raw Methanol..   couldn't keep your eyes open.. had to go outside... then when the races started ...the lights went out in the spectator areas...only the race track was lit... Raced against the likes of George Tatnell.. Ronald McKay.... worked on the car during the week at a guys garage in the City...   George Turvitt (spelling).. he was VW garage, i think.. long time ago now..