Author Topic: RM125C rat rider.  (Read 1241 times)

snappy

RM125C rat rider.
« on: June 02, 2013, 02:49:01 pm »
Morning chaps.

I'm bringing a 125C back to life as a bit of a rat / fun bike.

She's a pretty honest old thing and was apparently a family owned bike which was passed through the kids before ending up in the shed for 15 years.

I'm doing everything that needs to be done, but not going overboard. Plastics will be the worn plastics and it will present old... but I'm going through the mechanicals now to bring it up to speed. Already tensioned the spokes, new tyres, new brakes and bearings. I'll toss in some fork seals and lube the cables before cleaning the carby out and firing her up to see what else is needed.

I just want something to stir the locals up when we ride so it will do fine, and is a nice simple way to get me motivated to do a decent resto on the S or A I have hidden away.

One issue I have is the seat was missing. I have a new foam and cover, but if anyone has an early seat base they want to sell please message me. Also chasing a front chain cover / protector.

Anyway... thats me... and I'll update as I progress, which will undoubtedly be a lot slower than I'd like :)

Montynut

Re: RM125C rat rider.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 04:54:11 pm »
The front sprocket covers are almost impossible and very expensive ($hundreds). I fitted a plastic 'N/T' model sprocket cover which are easy to get (still available new) and the two front screws go straight in and you just need to make a small bracket to fit the rear screw mount. Oh you also need to make the spacers that go behind the cover which are also very difficult to get. They look fine and no one has even picked it

I think DC plastics make a seat base. Contact Les at VMX Unlimited

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 06:44:56 pm »
Yes  "DC plastic " make the bases but you either need to make the mounts or source them. If you require the measurements for the mountings and where to put them send me a PM ..... I have posted them on here some place.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 07:07:17 pm by oldfart »

Montynut

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 08:45:22 pm »
Les has the mounts as well. Nice alloy ones ;)

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 04:25:03 pm »
I think you may be referring to the rear seat ( external ears  )..... does he carry the front frame hook and under foam mounts.   

Montynut

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 04:59:46 pm »
you are correct about the rear seat mount tags. I didn't think about the front hook thingy :-[ should have thought about it a little more ::). The rear mounts are very simple to make as my originals were rusted away.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 05:01:37 pm by Montynut »