Author Topic: Buying Memorabilia  (Read 2437 times)

Tony T

Buying Memorabilia
« on: May 02, 2008, 07:21:04 pm »
I've got a signed Bob Hannah jersey to auction as part of Elliot's Big Ride for the Childhood Cancer Association.
I can't decide whether to have it framed with a plaque before offering it for auction or just selling as is.
So I need advice from those of you who may be interested in something like this.
The framing will cost me about $300 plus the extra for postage, insurance and I can't send O.S. then either.
But unframed it is not such a unique, one-off item but postage will be bugger all and I can offer worldwide.
Which would you be most likely to bid on?
Framed at a starting price of at least $400.00 or unframed starting at $200.00..............???
Here's photo of the jersey unsigned.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Buying Memorabilia
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 07:49:25 pm »
peoples tastes in frames are very large and it's too footballie with a frame.
put a nice letter/certificate with history etc with it.
just my opinion :)
Alison
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 10:01:44 pm by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 07:54:44 pm »
I agree.

Framing it adds to your cost, makes postage more difficult, and may not suit every buyer.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

magoo

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 08:11:17 pm »
Both of the boys are right to a degree, but it is worth a shitload more framed. If you want serious big money bids, frame it.

Tony T

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 08:24:24 pm »
Many thanks for the opinions guys.
Yes, we want the serious, big money bids. But I worry that I'll spend 300 bucks of my own money and only get what the framing cost for it. It's still $300 we didn't have before as the jersey didn't cost me anything though.
I guess I can put a reserve on it too..............

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 11:36:19 pm »
YOu can offer it for sale or list with a framed option to winner, just take up a mock of it behind glass and say posted lose to save postage or come with your chose of standard black framing.

works for me .
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 11:54:34 am by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 12:24:07 pm »
 I reckon put it up for sale unframed, and whack a reserve on it if you want to set a minimum return.   A certificate sounds like a good idea to add value, but framing adds time, cost and shipping complications.     The buyer can frame it if he wants to.    Ride safe and good luck with the fundraising,  Cheers,    T250.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 12:30:48 pm »
Someone might want to wear it when riding ;D
Best is in the West !!

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 04:42:32 pm »
Find a cheaper framer.

Doc

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 05:34:11 pm »
Someone might want to wear it when riding
this is not so far from the truth VMX. I've been looking at a bit of my memorabilia lately and one question keeps springing to mind..
"just what the heck am I saving it for!" When I croak it someone else will get everything anyway so I may as well use it..nothing is too sacred in my eyes anymore and I've even given away my spare Joel Robert signatured items, I have the one I wanted so what the heck do I need more for, ya dead for a long time and here for a short time (apparently), make the most of it!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 05:37:34 pm by Doc »

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 06:43:38 pm »
Doc, ya gave away your Joel signed gear?!
Unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to have Joel sign a t.shirt.
All the popular sizes were gorn by the time I signed in on saturday morning.
On sunday evening I learned why...coz TM Bill bought them all!
From his bag he pulled shirt after shirt after shirt after...

At least I have a poster and a photo with Robbo so all good.
Any VMX Mag fellas reading? Any idea when the new stock of the yellow t.shirts are available?
I've paid up and just wondering about delivery.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Doc

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 08:08:14 pm »
well yeah, I kinda gave em' away Wombat :P

:o LIAR!!  ::)

errr..I did keep my signed Old Bike Rule tee, 2 posters and a program but 1 poster went to Dodgee for being such a fine upstanding logistics manager, the other poster to John 'Buz' Sharra in the US since he's also a zook nutter and all round good bloke, then finally, the other signed program to a guy named Mitch from strictlydirt.com in Connecticut simply because he wanted one (and I wanted something he had) ;D it would seem my other bits of memorabilia which is essentially me and my old riding gear is still currently in use..except the Bell Moto III..it feels more like a bucket these days..a heavy bucket! :D

in the link I posted above I happened to notice this little gem  8) not the first time I'd seen the bike but the first I've seen a pic of it being ridden at pace, seems it only touches the ground when at idle :o

http://strictlydirt.com/images/mikeBurnham.jpg 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 08:20:54 pm by Doc »