Author Topic: Flat Track 1970's at Ascot Park  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Dono113

• Legend
    • View Profile
Flat Track 1970's at Ascot Park
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:09:47 am »
Flat Track 1970's at Ascot Park, outstanding!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PIcSbAFMDg
1983 CR125R
2003 CRF450R
CB750K1
2005 YZ85
1969 TS 250

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Track 1970's at Ascot Park
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 11:31:11 am »
Ascot was a shithole in the middle of a skanky industrial area in LA , not unlike Parramatta Speedway in location, appearance and feel. Even though it could have done with a touch of paint and some decent facilities, the racing there was the best of the best, whether it be flat track, speedway, TT or even sprint cars. There was something very special about the place and Los Angelenos loved it with a passion, with full houses almost every week, no matter what was on the program, a bit like how the Sydney Showground was special to us Sydneysiders.

For the last few years I lived there I worked nights but I had the Ascot race calendar taped to the back of my toilet door so I could sit on the toot and plan out what nights I was going to have off to go to Ascot ;D. My favourites were Alex Jorgenson who was the king of the place in the mid 70's on the famous Ron Wood Norton. Another favourite was #98 "Little" John Hately who was especially good on the TT. Speedway was also a highlight at Ascot with riders like the Bast Brothers, Bill Cody and Scotty Autrey among others putting on some great racing. Although I'm essentially a bike guy, I also loved the midgets and sprint cars at Ascot. Ascot was unique in 4 wheel speedway for the fact that sprinters raced without wings due to some local rule and because of that the cars were as hairy as, with big back straight wheelstands and much wilder sideways action.

That little video evoked some great memories of my time going to Ascot, it's even filmed from roughly where we used to sit. Good stuff.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 03:02:53 pm »
looking at the layout above,wonder how a jump would go at nepean?,bit of room in the middle eh, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 05:04:11 pm »
Now that'd put the Cat amongst the Emu's Mick. :o
When the Flattrack twins hit their straps there's another option that could get off the ground. :P