Author Topic: How to straighten YZ brake stay  (Read 1931 times)

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
How to straighten YZ brake stay
« on: September 23, 2008, 05:42:01 pm »
I have seen so many of these bent I used to think they where made with a bend.  Then I saw a straight one :o :o.
There is obviously a way to straighten bent tube - can someone let me in on the secret please  ::)

Believe me this tip will be used worldwide, so you may want to consider patenting before posting here  ;D ;D

Thanks in advance for any help ;).
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

mx250

Re: How to straighten YZ brake stay
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 06:31:22 pm »
You mean part# 42?

If it this round tube you can straighten it with heat but you'll probably still have a kink in the tube. You can yucky putty ::) , sand and spray. Other than that it's cut and shut with new tubing or replace with good second hand or NOS.

Or bling it up with a new mechined up Ally replacement  8). You know you want to ;D.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 07:17:42 pm »
Part number 42 it is.

I'm trying not to totally break the bling meter Graeme  ;D ;D  So the ally one may be a last resort.  I am commited to the standard one as I just paid $42US for part #43  ::).  Apart from that the blokes on here will give me too much of a bagging if I go too bling.
One idea I had was heating up the tube and driving another rod down the middle, but I suppose a kink in the other direction  is likely.

I think finding a straight one would be a challenge,  but potentially worth considering ::).

I would try the heat and straighten, but every time you hit it to straighten it I'll leave a crease.  What have I got to lose apart from a bent rid and an expensive bodgy size spherical bearing that doesn't fit anywhere else  :o

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 07:48:09 pm »
Drill a hole into a piece of hardwood and bevel the opposite ends of drilled hole @ 45 degrees . Place the shaft or rod in  the hole and apply even pressure down or up to suit , before the bend - centre of bend - and after.
Most of mine are bent cold
If heat is applied it should be on the stretched  side only

mainline

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 07:48:53 pm »
might be worth sending this guy a message. He dug up a NOS one for my bike.

http://stores.ebay.com/NW-Vintage-Cycle-Parts

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 07:57:27 pm »
Thanks Mainline - I have got many parts off him and have to admit that I have not tried the NOS path yet as I assumed the stocks would have been used up decades ago.  I'll pop over there and have a look.

Any chance a drawing or some more instructions Oldfart.  My direction following has never been the best.
BTW I notice a few photos of a very attractive looking RM with a 4 stroke in it at Tamborine.  The bloke riding it looks to know what he's doing  ;) ;D ;D  How come the number on the plate is 90 ??  Are you getting a discount for bulk with Brad ??

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 07:29:46 pm »
NFG on the NOS I'm afraid - tried wallet bandit, S and S and NWVCP - all to no avail.
I will try oldfart's method (or my interpretation of it) and see what happens.  Otherwise I will try the wanted section ::)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 08:49:30 pm »
put it on the other way round then ride the bike like you stole it an presto  ;D it will bend back the other way.  ::) jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

mx250

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 11:27:24 pm »
Replacing would be the easiest, but if shove comes to push and you get stuck I reckon cut and hut would the way to go. If you measure the dia I'll check some of the frame rails that I'm about to 'recycle' to see if I have the right dia and length, if you want.