Author Topic: HERB HONOURED  (Read 3376 times)

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
HERB HONOURED
« on: June 01, 2013, 04:46:09 pm »
Short Circuit Legend Herb Jefferson was inducted into the Hunter Region Sporting Hall of Fame, he joins KD, Vic Duggan, Billy Lamont and Chris Watson and George Watson, the only father and son inductees

HERB JEFFERSON – DIRT TRACK MOTORCYCLE RACING

When his sister’s boyfriend wanted to sell all his gear – bike, helmet, the works – Herb Jefferson did the deal and grabbed the opportunity to fulfill a long standing desire to go motorcycle racing. Born at New Lambton in 1942, Jefferson joined the Lake Macquarie Motorcycle Club – better known as Lakes – and at 18 years of age began competitive racing – a move that would eventually take him to the top of the sport of dirt track motorcycle racing.

Salty Creek (Edgeworth/Barnsley) and Heddon Greta in the Lower Hunter, Hillview (Muswellbrook) in the Upper Hunter and Old Bar, Taree were the ‘headquarters’ for dirt track racing and it didn’t take long for Jefferson to work his way from C Grade to A Grade through regular competition at these venues.

Ironically, it was at the furthest corners of Australia where Jefferson began bagging his collection of Australian championships. His first title victory was in the 350cc division at Devonport, Tasmania in 1963. He credits his victory to his father who was laid off work at the time and decided to spend time with his son as his dirt track career continued to blossom. The Jefferson family ‘team’ loaded their racing gear onto the ‘Spirit of Tasmania’ and came back with an Australian title.

In the following year, 1964, the Australian Dirt Track Championships were held at Forrestfield, Western Australia and Jefferson headed across the dirt road of the Nullabor Plains. He made the long trip all worthwhile by successfully defending his 350cc Championship crown.

Southport in Queensland was the venue for the 1965 Australian Dirt Track Championship and Jefferson headed north to try for a ‘three-peat’ of his 350cc Championship. On the tight Southport track, Jefferson scored his third straight 350cc title and to show just how his talents had continued to develop, he also won the Australian Unlimited Championship, making it a total of four National titles.

Then in 1966, Jefferson scored the Grand Slam of Australian Dirt Track Championships – all three titles. The venue was Old Bar Circuit, near Taree – a track that Jefferson obviously had a liking for. He won the 350cc Championship, the 500cc Championship and the Unlimited Championship – an incredible performance.

Herb Jefferson won seven Australian Dirt Track Championships along with a number of NSW and Queensland State Dirt Track Championships.

Herb being congratulated by Ministers Rep. Sarah Claydon
Info from Trevor Harvey and Ross Allen
Foss

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: HERB HONOURED
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 07:41:29 pm »
Great stuff Foss,.......Go 'Erb!!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 01:16:43 pm »
 'Erb the legend!
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 04:36:31 pm »
I agree, Legend.
I'd have thought he'd have a Knight's jersey on though but Bulldogs?

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 09:49:18 pm »
I agree, Legend.
I'd have thought he'd have a Knight's jersey on though but Bulldogs?

Steve, a mate of mine who was born in East Maitland is also a Bulldogs supporter.....remember in Herb's and my mate's day....there were no Knights.... :)
Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's