Author Topic: Calling Lozza Piston windows vs no windows  (Read 3332 times)

TM BILL

Calling Lozza Piston windows vs no windows
« on: April 29, 2013, 10:08:42 pm »
One for Lozza and other clever buggers .

Would i get away with using a 1978 /79 KX 250 piston in my 76 KX 250  ???

76 is piston port and piston has no windows in the back of it , but 78/79 pistons have ports in the back of the piston for the reed valve .

Im having trouble getting the piston port pistons but the later ones are readily available  :)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 10:20:40 pm by TM bill »

Montynut

Re: Calling Lozza Piston windows vs no windows
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 11:02:26 pm »
You can not use it in a piston port engine Bill because there is nothing to seal the carbie from the crankcase.

Normally the holes allow fuel/air to continue to flow into the crankcase through the reed valve while there is a relative negative pressure within the crankcase. Once the crankcase pressure equalises or goes slightly positive the reed valve shuts off. Without the reed valve fuel air would flow back out of the crankcase toward the carbie. This would not be good ;)

here are a few
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1973-1974-Kawasaki-KX250-Dirtbike-Vintage-Wiseco-Piston-Kit-69-5mm-std-sz-361ps-/130747852863?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e712de83f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-KX250-KX-250-NOS-STANDARD-BORE-PISTON-1974-STD-/280773390267

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13029-069-NOS-OEM-Kawasaki-Piston-020-Oversize-KX250-new-/111062864713?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item19dbdcd349

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Kawasaki-Piston-50-1974-KX250-13029-069-AHRMA-/121006763848?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1c2c90af48

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Kawasaki-KX250-Piston-0-020-O-S-NOS-13029-069-/271113812184?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3f1fa478d8

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 11:38:04 pm »
Bill you just "wouldn't" want to know what i did a lifetime ago--ok i'll admit it, just don't tell Lozza!!. Used to ride my Yamy CT1 [piston port] to work & used a KDX175 piston in it. Had a boost port hole high up on the skirt side & was say 10 or 12mm in size [guessing now]. In desperation i threaded the hole [about two turns of thread] & screwed a bolt in & cut it off then dressed it up. Made the thread tight plus loctited it. Worked well, just can't remember for how long. Think the skirt had a 'slight' cut away on the lower edge just advancing the inlet a bit [on my Yam anyway]. Thing used to fly with a [nz yamaha redundant stock--cheap] MX175 chamber adapted to fit. Sold it to a female neighbor who thrashed it for ages & used to carry her dog [called hedgehog] at [an indicated flat out] 70mph with hedgehog dribbling furiously into the wind. God i'll have nightmares over that now. Thanks for reminding me. Bottom line is--don't do it [piston]. Probably run but have gaspy low speed running & go like hell up top. One more thing. Yamaha & Kawy [i think] might have the same 70mm bore [std] i know on my 175 the gudgeon height was the same, 250 might be the same too but you'd have to check out piston port DT1MX wiseco pistons if available or something modern with 'case reed' where the piston has no reed holes or cutaway. Anyway--me getting silly. Night. ps, jeez we used to get right into the annual redundant stock list at work. Bought [amongst other things] TWO RT2MX new cylinders. Scrapped one when i bored it to 85mm YZ400 piston in the hope that the "fins wouldn't fall off" [nearly did & was unusable bugger it], before i realised "79 YZ400 was 82mm. Think other cylinder is on Macka's Cooper Yam thingy' nowdays--depressed again now. Cheers . tears.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 11:38:47 pm »
As above Bill the arched or windowed pistons aint going to work. Time to bite the bullet and either resleeve or better still have the cast iron bore nicasiled back to standard bore size and make use of all those cheap NOS pistons. Only other alternative is find a alternate piston, they look a lot like a early Kawasaki either jet ski or snow mobile piston.
What's the
Bore size
Comp height
overall length
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 07:06:22 am »
Honda CR/MT 250 1975/77 PISTONS blackboy....Stewy just went through it....he's over your way in a few days murdering ducks with his bro.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 07:55:55 am »
I have some new piston-port (non reed valve) pistons, I'll msg you with what sizes.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 05:11:26 pm »
Bill ..... yes I have just put a Cr 250  73-74 std  piston ( Wosner )  in my 1975  KX 250  ..... you will need to buy the complete kit  with  S/E bearing, they are a straight fit with no mods.

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 10:59:03 am »
Bill, if it will do the job as described above, i have a  NOS CR/MT wiseco piston kit here, 70.0mm size, if you (or anyone else for that matter) wants it, $50 plus postage. I had a look at it and it does appear idntical to the KX piston.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

TM BILL

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 11:10:12 am »
Bill, if it will do the job as described above, i have a  NOS CR/MT wiseco piston kit here, 70.0mm size, if you (or anyone else for that matter) wants it, $50 plus postage. I had a look at it and it does appear idntical to the KX piston.

That would be graet thanks  :) i will Pm you my address if you could let me know total inc postage i will fix you up  :)

Thanks bill

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 12:09:56 pm »
Yes but will a Honda piston "work" in a Kawasaki ?  ;)
Jesus only loves two strokes

oldfart

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 04:34:35 pm »
Not too sure if wiseco rings are compatable with chrome bore ....should be CDM style.   food for thought

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 06:04:09 pm »
 When I first got my RT1 (no reeds) it had a reed valve piston with windows. I thought it was correct. It wasn't of course but the thing went very well. It needed to be revved but it wasn't a problem. I hadn't ridden a 2/ with any guts before so I thought it was normal.
 I'd be inclined to try it.
cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

TM BILL

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 04:56:16 am »
Thanks for the advice chaps  :) I think Bills Wiseco Honda piston will be ok , it was the later CRs 78 on that had the chrome bore / chrome rings .

I run Wiseco pistons in my 79 KXs and my 74 125 without any dramas , but if anyone knows for sure that its not gonna work happy to listen  :)

Pancho i might just give it a go , to see what happens  ;D

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 08:28:32 am »
now 'pancho' has me thinking [experimenting again] RT2/3 piston holes aren't that big by memory so might try that idea as a 'cheats way' of getting more inlet duration!! ok, maybe not!!. Reminds me of the Landscout dad had on the farm--was the very very first before autolube was invented [had fatter petrol tank] when it was probably 10 years old it stripped the drive into the fibre rotary valve [just rips it out of the fibre] parts were on back order so just screwed one reed 'i probably made out of something' over the hole that the rotary uncovers. Worked ok in the interim till parts arrived, albeit a bit flat powerwise. Those fibre rotary valves were a common problem on all the landscouts if they came in running flat. Remember one turning up at a 'scramble' [we were on B33's & Matchys], we all waited for it to break off at the steering head which it didn't of course.