Author Topic: Commercial motor vehicle insurance,any recommendations?  (Read 1719 times)

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
My policy is due soon on my work van,anybody had good dealings,My current mob (R*CV) have increased my premium,increased my excess but reduced the agreed value coz my rig is a year older >:(

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Commercial motor vehicle insurance,any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 07:48:47 pm »
That's normal. The secret to insurance is to change often. fork the loyalty bullshit, get the lowest price going.
You obviously have a quotation, deduct 10 % and ring another company with your deducted amount and ask them to beat it. Do this for 1 hour and I guarantee you will save yourself 25 % of your original quote. When you get to the Pre- recorded spiel always hit on New Business, you will get answered quicker and you can get your quote down quicker. Works for me.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 07:04:38 am »
in queensland i use
oamps insurance brokers
i think they are national
sponsor of jim richards porsche

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 08:38:18 am »
If you already have old bikes insured with Shannons they'll be reasonably competitive for a commercial.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 08:52:22 am »
The only problem with shopping around for better deals is that some of the 'better deals' are harder to get money out of when it comes to crunch time. (No pun intended)  Not a big problem if you're in the wrong and the person you hit is chasing them, but a big pain when you need to claim.  I went through this recently with some property insurance that I got through my bank from a major insurer.  When I went to make a small claim, they were going to penalise me by putting my premiums through the roof, it was cheaper for me not to claim.   So I switched to QBE, costs me maybe a couple of hundred extra each year, but I have never had a problem with payouts from that company and have never been penalised for claims.

Watch for little loopholes as well.  I had a bike insured once, for the first two years it was 'new for old' replacement.  That was what got me in, after the two years my insurance form said $7,000 or market value.  So checked what the market value was and it was around $5,500.  So I was paying a premium on seven thousand to get a payout out on five and a half.

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 09:46:28 am »
Not sure about commercial insurance but I shopped around for private comprehensive and found the new Coles insurance very compeative, I went from $663 (AAMI and various other companies where all within $10) to $400 with Coles.

I went over the PDS and for all intents they have a similar policy, excess etc etc.

Cheers
The best of both worlds! - '82 RM465Z & '10 KTM 530 EXC

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 10:59:17 am »
Youi has been by far the best I have found. For the older gentlemen. 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 01:21:02 pm »
If you already have old bikes insured with Shannons they'll be reasonably competitive for a commercial.
Yeah I do & I have my house & contents with them also,I didn't think they would do commercial,but i'll give em a try,thank for the help & advice guys :)

IT400C

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 02:04:34 pm »
The only problem with shopping around for better deals is that some of the 'better deals' are harder to get money out of when it comes to crunch time. (No pun intended)  Not a big problem if you're in the wrong and the person you hit is chasing them, but a big pain when you need to claim.  I went through this recently with some property insurance that I got through my bank from a major insurer.  When I went to make a small claim, they were going to penalise me by putting my premiums through the roof, it was cheaper for me not to claim.   So I switched to QBE, costs me maybe a couple of hundred extra each year, but I have never had a problem with payouts from that company and have never been penalised for claims.

I'd second what crash n bern said.  Talk to a local Panel Beater who deals with the insurance companies all the time.  He'll know who pays out well and who fights you for every cent...

Mate of mine manages a Panel Shop up here in Brisbane, so he deals with the assessors all the time, and he reckons there's a huge difference in dealing with the various companies..

For what it's worth, he says up here in Brisbane RACQ approves the most quotes with quibbling about dollars..  Probably explains why they're not the cheapest.

Anyway, chase up a local Panel beater!