Author Topic: Special Metisse's for sale.  (Read 3247 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Special Metisse's for sale.
« on: April 17, 2013, 11:53:11 am »
A good mate isn't going too well healthwise so he's offering up most of his bike collection for sale. I'll only deal with the motocross bikes here but I'll mention in passing that one of the road bikes for sale is a very special Egli Vincent that's got every performance bell and whistle imaginable. There are a couple of Honda RC30 superbikes as well.

* The legendary ex Roy East Matchless Metisse. Anyone who knows classic era motocross knows that this bike has a history  going back to the mid 60's that includes continental GPs, BBC TV series and many, many Aussie titles and race wins. Even when Roy was a frail, sick old man he was the guy to beat in the Pre 65 VMX  class on this bike. It's fitted with a genuine 'works' G85CS engine and is ptrtty close to ready to race condition. It's got to be the ugliest Metisse in existence but that's the way Roy raced it and if the patina on this bike could talk it'd be lecturing in motocross history. It should never be restored. The only thing I'd personally do would be to replace the plastic mudguards with alloy and the Husky forks and front wheel with Norton forks and cut down Matchless hub as in the period photo below.

The Roy East Metisse at the 1993 Mt Kembla Nationals, Roy's last motocross meeting.

Roy in action at Hawkestone Park in the UK, circa 1966 in a BBC television meeting. That's possibly fellow Aussie Ray Fisher (#137) on his outside 

*Matchless Metisse G80. This bike is a genuine unmolested original 1964 Mk3 G80 Matchless. Once again it's not a shiny bling show bike but it is as original as any period built Metisse can be. I can't remember the bike's history but I do recall my mate telling me its history is very interesting, being imported back in the sixties to contest some big race series. I don't have any detail photos of ths bike, only the below photo of it in action at Inverell back in the 90's (#34). Unfortunately it's the only photo I have of the bike.

The blue Metisse (#34) in action at Inverell vintage meeting in the 4 stroke class circa 1993-4

Bikes of this calibre don't come up very often and to be brutally honest, my friend isn't exactly giving them away. The seller was hoping I'd buy the Easty bike as Roy had indicated to my mate and I that he'd like me to eventually own it but unfortunately it's come up too soon after the purchase of my 750 Yamaha flat tracker and I've got too much money tied up in too many projects and bikes to be able to own it right now. If, however the East bike isn't sold I'll look into having a fire sale to raise the readies to buy it myself. Whoever buys either bike will be paying good market value but with the history these bikes carry I think they're still good investments. Because my mate is computer illiterate he's asked me to broker the sales so if anyone is interested in either bikes, PM me and I'll pass on the sellers contact details.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:49:03 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Special Metisse's for sale.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 08:18:51 am »
Spoke to Fritz last week.  He is a lovely chap and a real gentleman.  He is based just outside Luzern in Switzerland.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Special Metisse's for sale.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 04:09:19 pm »
I found a picture of the other Metisse for sale with the Roy East bike

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha