Author Topic: 84 water pump case  (Read 3046 times)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
84 water pump case
« on: March 10, 2013, 01:56:39 pm »
Yep, the old chestnut has reared its head again with a repair to my waterpump casing crapping itself and making my gearbox a milky pink color.

anyone got a good condition water pump/clutch cover they can part with?

i will try to mag weld it as ol mate who is a welding maestro has just successfully fixed a cr 250 of his.

all suggestions and assistance welcome.

I had used 2pac araldite and fibre fill and it had set hard and was milled and bored nicely for the seal but sitting with coolant in it has seen it delaminate badly and let go into the seal area / gearbox...back to square 1.

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Re: 84 water pump case
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 02:00:18 pm »
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 12:20:25 pm »
thanks for that, that is the bottom line cost for me as well which is good. i can figure out how much to pay for a good 2nd one a bloke has lined up. im expecting him to say $500 take it or leave it...

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 08:05:58 pm »
Gone the Dc plastics billet cover, if the mail is in time i might make it to HBB Woo Hoo :D ;D

Offline Maicoman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 12:06:40 pm »
Wouldn't waste my time with 2nd hand ones, just go the new one and you'll never touch it again. I had a couple that I thought looked ok but took them to my repair guy who said as soon as he puts heat near those covers "POOF" they're gone. The old contaminated magnesium doesn't take kindly to welding.
Let's face it some dirt bikes were never meant to be ridden.

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 07:55:17 pm »
 This can be machined out to sound metal and a larger seal fitted or else a alloy ring shrunk in to restore the dimension.  If its a hole through the pump cavity surface then it is more difficult. Agree that welding is not a repair option for the water pump. I have heard of people using liquid metal, Belzona etc but I haven't used it myself.

Welding is fine for cracked magnesium covers etc where there is good clean metal to weld but you need an expert welder - an aviation welding mob is who I use - not the local guy who makes BBQ's  ;D. Had excellent results on several repairs. Cleanliness is critical and these guys know how to degrease etc.

Good luck!
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline Maicoman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 09:37:58 pm »
I have repaired 2 covers with devcon which worked well. I then coated it with a layer of heavy duty Araldite as a sealer. Lasted a few years and was still ok when I sold it. I broke 3 sproket lugs of my Maico hub yeras ago on the Army trail coming back from Kandos. I took the hub to Dave Mawer (Mawer Engineering) who did an awesome job repairing the hub. He was one of the first people to cast magnesium racing wheels and made wheels for Moffat, Bond and many others during the 70's. The bloke is an engineering genius and has a long history in the racing scene.
Let's face it some dirt bikes were never meant to be ridden.

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 10:18:23 pm »
Did you coat the O ring groove also? Husky water pump housings seal using an O ring that runs in a groove in the magnesium cover. The coolant attacks the magnesium right up to the O ring location.

I am also trying the waterless coolant to see if that helps with preventing the corrosion progressing any further.
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 07:58:36 pm »
Got a Billet clutch cover from HVA, solved all the problems. Just reassembling it today but ran out of time. Hopefully get it turning 2morrow...