Author Topic: KTM GS250 fuel infrastructure issues......  (Read 1794 times)

Offline 2minutetim

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
KTM GS250 fuel infrastructure issues......
« on: April 01, 2013, 08:38:35 pm »
Gents,

As usual, I'm getting my bike ready for next weekends Heaven season opener a little late.

It has (last season) had an issue with the bike creeping on the line with the clutch in, no problem I thought...drop the oil, refill with ATF, a few practice starts on the back lawn and bob's your mothers brother!

Changed oil, all ok...looked a strange colour but thats gone now.

Now for the practice starts.... kick, kick,...... f'n kick kick...not a sausage. ???

Fuel in the carb bowl...yes, looks crappy though. Rinse it out, refit bowl.

Lets go for fresh fuel....pull the fuel hose and at least make sure the go juice is getting to the carb....dry!

Pull the fuel tap apart... all gunked up...yeah, a reason why it wouldn't start. Clean up tap, whack it back in, refill the tank.......

Here's where the trouble began... :o

Fuel starts to pour out of my freshly serviced fuel tap from every crack and crevice. Fuel also starts to drip incesently from the fuel bowl 'seal'.

Question 1, where can I get / what should I use to seal the carb bowl on my '83 model Bing carb?
Question 2, what is the go with these fuel taps once they are pulled apart? They look serviceable with the screws etc to enable them to come apart.
Is there anything I can put through the tap to get it to stop leaking? Is there a repalcement available to suit those Acerbis tanks?

Any help you can offer me at this panicy stage would be greatly appreciated.

2MT ;)
Remember, no matter what anyone says, size does matter!

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: KTM GS250 fuel infrastructure issues......
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 09:34:41 pm »
My experience is once you pull fuel cocks apart they will usually leak. Too serious to shag around with so I keep a few spare new ones at all times. They are cheap insurance. Les at VMX Unlimited should be able to sort you out. Don't know about Bings - do they use gaskets like Mikunis? If so then a new gasket works wonders! I am sure a forum member with Bing expertise will be by shortly! Good luck - don't set the thing on fire  ;D ;D
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline ozktm

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 03:51:28 pm »
New cork gaskets for your bing. I will have one with me up at the track.
If you get one from les (if he has them), soak it in warm water first before fitting it.

Taps, i think they are very similar to the ones used on modern ktm's.
Regards,
Adrian Goold #101

'72 KTM 175 |'74.5 KTM 250 |'74.5 KTM 400 |Hagon/KTM 250 proj|'76 MC5 250 Project |'76 MC5 400|'78 KTM 250 Project |'81 KTM 250 MC | '81 KTM 495 MC

Offline 2minutetim

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 08:54:39 pm »
Thanks gents,

I appreciate your replies.

I have fitted another tap off a spare tank I have. I didn't monkey with this one, just blew some air through it. I think I will cut off the gauze internal tank filter which will eliminate the reserve feature.
So far so good.

Bowl still leaks or weeps a little. I might see if Les is coming up on the weekend or might see if i can purchase / replace your spare cork gasket Adrian.

The reason for the mass consternation, over worked kicking leg and sweaty brow on the weekend and again this morning was that the CDI has also shat itself. Hence no spark nor flame.

Looks like I might be running a borrowed one this weekend while the dead one heads off to the rewinders.

The dream is alive again!

Thanks again

2MT ;) :D

Remember, no matter what anyone says, size does matter!