Author Topic: PE175 good runner mate.  (Read 5023 times)

Offline pecrazy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
PE175 good runner mate.
« on: November 14, 2015, 01:00:29 pm »
Bought this and it has been in our Melbourne branch for over 12 months waiting for a truck to bring it to QLD.  Bloke told me it was a good runner, recent rebuild, and he had ridden it recently. I turned it over and knew straight away there was a problem, checked the flywheel and yep, more movement then I have ever seen, really bad on the clutch side, off with the cover and the bearing cage has gone, all the balls are at the bottom and there is no evidence of the seal, how can people say she's a great runner or do they just not know any better.

Offline pecrazy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: PE175 good runner mate.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 01:07:46 pm »
Good and bad, most original PE I have ever had, has all the bits that are usually thrown away.

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 01:25:02 pm »
Seems like it may have been put in the too hard basket for the previous owner. Main bearings shot plus who knows what else has been damaged by the failed bearings.

Other than that not a bad looking bike.

Offline Oldfart

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 01:54:31 pm »
Pe 175 have a tendancy  to be a bit soft on 3rd and 4th gear sets ..... hardening wears off/ pits  and the dogs are rounded   

Offline pecrazy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 04:30:27 pm »
Maybe lucky, doesn't look to have ever done much work, just a bit tired. Hope the gearbox is ok, won't get a chance to test ride it.

Offline Oldfart

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 05:06:51 pm »
If it was me I would be splitting the cases and replacing all bearings / seals ... for around $100-00 it gives me peace of mind. 

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 07:00:07 pm »
All that dirt around the air box inlet say it all. Anyone who cares for/looks after their bike does not leave it like that let alone try to sell it like that. I would be embarrassed to try sell a bike covered in dirt.
+1 what oldfart says, split and see what horrors you may find..
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline pecrazy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 07:54:08 pm »
No doubt I will split the cases, just hope the cases aren't damaged where the seal goes. Although it did have an air cleaner, and in good condition, bought so many bikes where the air cleaner had just fell in a heap in the bottom of the air box.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 07:55:53 pm by pecrazy »

Offline Oldfart

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 08:13:20 pm »
  If you need a set cases .. contact me.

Offline pecrazy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 12:48:08 pm »
Thanks for the offer, but I hope for the best. I won't take it apart just yet, I will have to wait untill the finances build up again.

Offline suzuki 400

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 10:55:30 pm »
The last pe250 I brought had a circlip holding the front sprocket on  which I never noticed till I got home and It was also not pointed out. A pe400 had holes drilled thru the fins on the outside of the barrel and had inch high nuts holding the barrel down ,not to mention the cup of rusty water I found when i turned the bike upside down  >:(.Both bikes recently ran so the story went .

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 09:41:09 am »
I try to think that the seller is just ignorant to the fact that the bike is well beyond a runner until I came across this bloke.

Not so long ago I got an '82 XR500 that was supposed to be a "fast and powerful" bike. Yep, it started ok that night but as per my usual way, a thorough going over is the first thing to do before I ride any new bike. I don't want any nasty surprises that might be life threatening.

First up oil filter clean and fresh oil. Take the cover off and find a whole heap of metal pieces and shcwarf at the screen. "Yeah, fast and powerful" bike like F$@K...... Must of been a very steep hill to reach 40km/h with no friggin gear selector!
No air filter and airbox full of red dust.

The motor is still sitting in a corner of the shed waiting to be cracked open to see what other surprise I might find.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.