Author Topic: fork oil seals... any ideas?  (Read 943 times)

JP84

fork oil seals... any ideas?
« on: April 30, 2013, 08:10:23 pm »
Gents, I have pulled the forks apart on my 1979 cr250 Elsie and I was wondering if there is any special tool required to remove the firmly  stuck oil seals? I have the dust seals and circlips out but that's as far as I have got. The old flat blade screw driver has a healthy bend in it  from trying the brute strength route so that's not going to be the answer! Tyre levers just don't get in there... any advice or handy hints appreciated. Cheers, Jarrod

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: fork oil seals... any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 12:24:54 am »
this is where the heat gun application comes in handy, ;), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

bananas161

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 11:42:11 am »
try drilling small hole 2mm into seal whack a self tapping screw bobs your uncle .... most fork seals have metal washer inside .cheers good luck :)

JP84

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 06:34:13 pm »
thanks gents, I just tried a spring puller but no go. So I'll start with the heat gun and see how that goes ... try not to set myself on fire. Failing that, I have a drill on hand to give option number two a shot. Thanks again.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 07:16:22 pm »
A heat gun and a nice tyre lever and it will fall out....use the heat gun to warm the fork leg when re-installing....easy pezzy.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 10:04:14 pm »
I just grab them and slide them back and forth harder and harder till they pop out sometimes some swearing is needed on the really stuck ones haven't  had a set I haven't been able to pull apart yet thankfully and then I hacksaw the old seal in half as a driver for the new seal that wont get stuck because it is only half you can pry it back out with a flat screwdriver.

1971 tm400 and PE's

JP84

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 07:53:20 am »
Heat gun and large flat blade screw driver ... some cursing ... a bit more heat ... and they came right out. Thanks for the tips guys.