Author Topic: cota 349  (Read 6053 times)

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
cota 349
« on: January 20, 2013, 10:07:43 am »
I have an opportunity to buy a very nice Cota 349. This is a one owner 78 ish model that has had some farm use and stored dry in the shed for a loooong time. I spoke the owner yesterday and he said the only non original part was the carb which was probably an Amal? Anyhow old mate says the new carb which ever one he decided to go with (probably mikuni) was a big improvement in his opinion.

My question is, are these a good thing? I dont know too much about trials bikes and even less about Montessa. I do know that this one is a very decent example of the model. Your thoughts?
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: cota 349
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 08:38:01 pm »
Is it a 348 or a 349? If the year is 1978 it will be a 348. The first 349 was introduced in 1980.

The AMAL concentric mark II was a decent but not brilliant carb and a mikuni or keihin is an improvement. Not so much for performance but those carbs permit more adjustment. The carb swap was a common mod at the time.

The 349 was crap. The 348 a very good machine indeed. In spite of the apparent similarities there are substantial differences between the models.

Look out for a perished carb-airbox hose. They are available and, if you need, I will look for the present suppliers.

1978 Cota 348:

1980 Cota 349:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:12:18 pm by TooFastTim »

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 12:18:33 pm »
Good info Tim, I will need to cast an eye over this machine again. The owner seemed sketchy on the model first saying it was a 350 and then correcting himself recalling that it was actually marketed as a 349 (But perhaps he meant 348) I recall seeing this bike in exactly the same place it is still in now 20 years ago. I dont recall seeing any yellow printing on the seat like the photo of 349 has, so maybe I should have another look. In your opinion the 1980 349 is not a good thing but the earlier machine is OK? Do / have you own (ed) one of these bikes? What do you think is a reasonable offer considering the tyres look perished but all said a service and dust off would be all that was needed to get her up and going. I have not seen one for sale to gauge the value, do you think about $500 would be offensive or close to the money?

Cheers Jas
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 06:46:24 pm »
Jas

I was unfortunate enough to own the first 349. It had a full 349 motor (the 348's were actually 306's). It also had an integral bashplate and had done away with the rear frame mudguard loop. Mont didn't o their homework regarding doing away with the frame tubes that ran under the motor and this transferred the stress to the headstock causing it to fracture with monotonous regularity. The first 349 had, in the words of a trialscentral poster, the turning circle of a supertanker. Later 349s (see below) were an improvement on the first 349 but, in the case of the last 349, it was completely eclipsed by the fantics.

Price, in good condition probably around 2,500 to 3,500. Mint condition: about 4,000. Barn find: probably 600 to 1,000.

I wouldn't discourage you from buying the first 349 nowadays but for intermediate to expert level riding of the early '80's (which is what I was riding) the damn thing was a liability. For clubby twinshock events it will be ok.

PS. be warned about the tank. It was an early attempt at painting polypropylene tanks and the paint flaked off. Modern prep techniques are much better and the paint should stay stuck. Also: the tank had a level gauge. Finding the grommets is difficult.

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 01:06:42 am »
Thanks for the heads up on what to look out for Tim, I will check out the problem areas and see what I would be dealing with. Tank is not Fibreglass then, I had assumed it would be glass by the thickness and texture. I plan to have a close look over her tomorrow.

Cheers,

Jason

Montynut

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 07:27:42 am »
The other thing with 349's (The last of the 4 models was called the 350 but the engine didn't change, it is a Spanish thing ::)) is that mechanically they are almost indestructible. The first model ’79 is the least capable of the four 349 models and was not nearly as good for most riders as the preceding 348 models which was an outstanding bike.

The engine, gearbox, chassis and running gear are all very strong, long lived and parts are relatively easy to get.

The first models also had very abrupt power delivery. The amount of power was also massive. This added with the large turning circle made the bike much more than most riders could overcome. Tight turns was more a case of ‘coming about’ as turning  ::).

The second model '81 white tank bike was a brilliant bike in its day and took Peter Paice to his final Oz Title in 1981. The later bikes the grey guard 349 and red guard 350 where great bikes but Trials had moved on and the riding style and sections had changed. Even Montesa recognised this and introduced the 242.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:46:12 am by Montynut »

Offline cappra

• Legend
  • Glendale, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Southwest Montesa
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 08:15:59 am »
I will say that the 80' 349 could sure hold a line up a rocky creek bed!

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 09:03:30 pm »
I will say that the 80' 349 could sure hold a line up a rocky creek bed!

;D ;D ;D ;D

It was pretty good on big steps too!

Montynut

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 12:55:45 am »
If anyone is looking for a solid '79 / '80 Cota 349 which is outstanding condition but not a shed queen $1250. It does need a set of crank seals which is an easy job on Monties (less than 2 hrs with a coffee break in the middle ;D) let me know. Not my bike but a mates.

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 05:08:28 am »
Greg Leo W had one and sold it then wished he didn't,
Give me a call and I will buy it for him.

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 09:54:03 am »
So I took another sqiz at this Cota, and it Definitely fits description of later 1980 style 349 model although the printing on the seat is rubbed off. I noticed the absence of rear frame loop as per Tims Pics and descriptions, this one has chrome rear shock springs not black. If any one is keen on one of these I can give you the owners number, bike is located in Jimboomba QLD 4280.

Thanks for your input on this thread guys, I have learnt more about Montessa Cotas in the last fortnight than I thought I might. While this is a cool old bike, I dont think it floats my boat but I would be thinking that under all that dust there is Diamond in the rough for a Montessaphile though.