Author Topic: Off Season Maintenance - How far do you go?  (Read 933 times)

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
Off Season Maintenance - How far do you go?
« on: November 18, 2012, 08:08:01 pm »
I'm interested to know how far you guys go with your off season maintenance. Do you just do what is obviously needing work, or do the obvious points like the swingarm bearings, linkages, wheel and head bearings and the top end or do you strip the bikes down completely and go through everything?

At the moment my list looks something like this but it may be overkill.

Check & Grease Wheel Bearings,
Check & Grease Steering Head Bearings,
Replace Brake Shoes,
Replace Throttle and Front Brake Cables,
Check Swingarm Bearings, Linkage Bushes and replace if necessary,
Replace Fork Oil,
Replace Gear Oil,
Replace Tyres,

Both top ends have recently been done.

What I am not sure about is:
Whether to go ahead and change the fork seals even though they are not leaking.
Whether to split the cases, replace all the seals and bearings, check the gears. This is not something I have a lot of experience in and I'm not particularly thrilled with the thought of doing it.

Ken
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

maico police

Re: Off Season Maintenance - How far do you go?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 08:25:15 pm »
Get your shock(s) and forks serviced. The hardest working parts bar the engine and the least looked after.
I bet few people would go a few seasons without changing their engine oil but they do with the shock syrup...... ::)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 08:33:15 pm by Mont »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:28:31 pm »
Check stuff, but don't replace crap for the sake of it - most of your list looks good, but only replace the brake shoes and cables if they need it.

I'd pull the ignition cover off and feel for play in the main bearing. Worn mains will usually growl.
If the gear oil comes out clean/slightly blackened, there's not likely a problem with the gearbox - the range of possible scenarios that might be building to a gearbox failure without any signs (noise, sparkly oil, missed shifts) is so narrow as to not worry about.
Unless you're going to get the gears X-rayed and/or magnafluxed, it's kinda pointless splitting the cases to have a look.

I'd get the shock(s) serviced too.

Go out and hold it pinned.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 09:26:26 pm »
Because I have a shitload of bikes I have a book with each bike in it and what dates I replaced pistons, rings, fork oil, shocky servicing, carby jet settings bla bla bla....its too hard to remember....youd be amazed at what you thought you did last year but it turns out to be 3....you can keep on top of things better and cheaper (blow ups are expensive)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 08:35:42 pm »
Same as Joan , I keep a note book for each bike. I have "CRAFT" syndrome ;D
In general  my bikes have had a full rebuild and should give me many years of hassle free running.   
I tend to change the oil after every 3 - 4 race meet's as it tell's me what's going on inside.
Top end rebuild every 2 years
Vinduro bikes ..... are like a woman, high on maintenance.