Author Topic: Not VMX: Road Riding near Auckland  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
Not VMX: Road Riding near Auckland
« on: November 05, 2012, 02:03:33 pm »
Hi just looking for some info from our Kiwi mates.

I am coming to NZ for the Speedway GP again next year. We have a free day on the Sunday and this time I thought I would hire a bike to explore a bit further afield.

I'm looking for good day rides around the Auckland area. Using Google maps I've plotted out a loop that looks like it would be okay http://goo.gl/maps/5u5jw but can anyone tell me if this would be so or if there are better rides to be had.

Cheers
Shaun

TM BILL

Re: Not VMX: Road Riding near Auckland
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 02:21:52 pm »
Shaun that looks like a great ride  :) what sort of bike do you want to hire ?

Only thing i would say is make sure your insurance is upto date if you are going to ride a bike on the road here  ::) we have great roads for motorcycling but also possibly the most motorcycle ignorant other road users in the world . Apparantly i cant name names but people from the east who can be blindfolded with a boot lace are the worst offenders .

I would recomend an adventure bike as opposed to a full blown sports bike as your average speed will be less , you will get to see more and have more reaction time to avoid the oxen cart drivers who now drive turbo charged Subarus  ::)

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 02:33:14 pm »
Thanks Bill

From the rentals I've seen on the net my pick at the moment is a Triumph Tiger 1050. But I guess any large capacity adventurer or tourer is what I would be after.

Don't worry mate we have our fair share of dubious drivers over here too.   :)

Cheers
Shaun

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 03:22:55 pm »
good pick Shaun,spoton,although i stayed over on the east side of the coramandels,fugging godszone bigtime,had a rental car running on leftover pukekohoe avgas,(sorry lozza ;D),a corsair dohc thingy,stayed at a pub on s bend next to a one way bridge,locals had a timed loop around the coramandel forrest roads,ending back at the pub,my embarrasing moment was a fully sick smokey lockup,then reverse up for "right of way" traffic on bridge with the friday arvo pub devotees cheering on,you will enjoy the scenary,great place, great people :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 06:02:56 pm »
Thanks Mick. Sounds like I'm going to wish I had more time there.

Cheers
Shaun

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 06:22:07 pm »
You could head north shaun 8)
There is a forest called waipou it has a big tree in the middle of it bloody big will blow your mind  ;) its a tourist attraction.
its about 3hrs north of auckland and the forest road is realy winding great for rubbing the bike pegs ;D

and 1hr north of the forest is a little beach town called opononi where I grew up  ;) and it has a huge sand dune attraction across the harbour worth a look ;) google waipou forest and opononi worth a look.

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 07:30:07 am »
Thats a good loop .I have done it many times from Tauranga end, try to do it on a week day I did taurangato whangamata on sunday and the traffic was a pain. and its not full on holiday season yet!!!. Watch out for cars comming out of side roads over here the f$%^ers just dont look for bikes
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 09:45:02 am »
Thats a good loop .I have done it many times from Tauranga end, try to do it on a week day I did taurangato whangamata on sunday and the traffic was a pain. and its not full on holiday season yet!!!. Watch out for cars comming out of side roads over here the f$%^ers just dont look for bikes
John,why the hell were you out Sunday driving and not at the Halcombe VMX race?
You missed an awesome days riding!

Hey Shaun,if you need any help in Auckland, just sing out.It will be good to catch up with you at the Speedway GP.
Cheers
Craig
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 09:56:02 am by suzuki59 »

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 01:27:32 pm »
Yea i knew that was going to happen. if I had gone it would have pissed down all day and been on the side of a  cliff ;D
 any way it was my wedding anniversary , she is a road bike nut so i now have shitloads of pixie points, yea me
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT