Author Topic: So you need a new knee or hip?  (Read 4672 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
So you need a new knee or hip?
« on: October 22, 2012, 07:53:48 pm »
Hey Guy's, just thought I'd share some info with you should you be thinking about getting a new knee or hip.  I had my first knee cruciate ligament tear at 16 (I'm 53 now), my first ligament reconstruction at 25 and over 20 clean-outs & torn cartlidge trims since then.  At 43 I had Partial knee replacements (PKR) done to both knees by surgeon David Young from Melbourne Orthopedic Group in the Avenue in Windsor (Vic).

The PKR's worked real well until I high-sided a Superbike at Phillip Island 3 years later; my left leg sufferred a smashed tibia, ripped off fibula and hundreds of cracks in the tibial plateau (bottom half of the knee).  I have since struggled with the left joint jamming even though having a few ops to try and clean it out.

Well I just found a new surgeon; David was very good but his out-of-pocket expenses I could not afford.  I now use Jim Kiellerup from Bundoora Medical Centre with no out-of-pocket.  Jim has repaired tears in both my left & right shoulders in the last 12 months and they feel great.

I have Medibank 'top hospital' health cover, I pay $250 excess for the first operation in a year and no more.

Jim has just done a total knee replacement (TKR) on my left knee; best op I've ever had, I am walking in two weeks, I expect to be riding in a couple of weeks, I'll keep you updated how it goes.

Jim has a fantastic reputation with hips, I will get my left hip done soon and will report on it also.  With Jim you can get in to see him within a week and get into hospital within a couple of weeks, anyone that has sat on 'waiting lists' for months will appreciate that!
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: So you need a new knee or hip?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 07:58:08 pm »
We are gonna have to start calling you Steve Austin soon J.O. :)

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:47:04 pm »
I think its time to give it away ;D
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Curly3

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 08:52:30 pm »
Oh stop John, you're making me feel sick.
I've had what I feel is more than my fair share of injuries & op's but nothing like all that.
I do admire your persistance, motorcycling is a hard bug to lose.

Tony T

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 09:18:28 pm »
Good info, John. It kinda reminds me that we actually can shop around for the best doctor instead of just accepting what they do without complaint like we have for years.

I need a hip replacement courtesy of a crash 25 years ago, but they keep telling me that I'm too young..........  :D

I think I need Dr. Jim's phone number!  ;) 

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 09:56:36 pm »
Unfortunately I made the dumb mistake of dropping out of my health fund when I retired. Because of that I waited 18 months for my ankle fusion surgery (and gained a whopper dose of Golden Staph as a free bonus) and have been waiting nearly two years for my knee replacement. The catch 22 is that I finally came up on the list for the surgery for the last week of September but he wouldn't operate until I get a clearance from my ankle ortho surgeon to say that the Staph has totally cleared up. I'm now hoping that will all happen in November.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 10:16:20 pm »
12 months ago I had some synthetic synovial fluid pumped under my left patella (kneecap). Best thing ever as I was struggling getting around and the discomfort was debilatating. Literally got up the next day with some spring in my step and no pain. Stuff is brilliant. J

Offline Rod Rocket

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 10:45:51 pm »
Aint getting any younger I was on stall for 13 years to get my left knee replaced same story to young I was 40 when a total replacement was the only option. Glad I waited apparently the new knee is much better than the previous one as in the time frame of how long it will last. The old replacement I was told had a life expectancy of 15 years I was told if I got 10 I would be lucky being more active at 53 than at 65+ and being a big bastard,the knee I got now I was told would last for life being that there is a 10% fail rate every 10 years as in 10 years 90% would still be good 20years 80% would still be good ect, but you don't know what % you are in. Waiting to have the right knee done I am 55 now and have had the left   2 1/2 years ago. Right shoulder repaired twice now (10years ago and 1 year ago) and no good again now total replacement only option left , and the left shoulder is also stuffed. So now I just take bigger pain relief and ride 3-4 times a week but have to ride within my limit's, now day's I ride to not fall off hitting the ground is not a good option. But it put's a smile on my face and that's all that matter's.
Regards Rod.

I,m not very smart but I can lift heavy objects.(well I used to be able to.)

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 11:08:08 pm »
Because of that I waited 18 months for my ankle fusion surgery (and gained a whopper dose of Golden Staph as a free bonus)

I do love a positve attitude!  ;) :D :D
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 09:52:36 am »
I am in the process of recovering from a crash during the APC Rally in August. The initial diagnosis was that I had a fractured Fibula, fractured big toe and sprained ankle on the right leg and a fracture left collar bone.  A month after the crash follow up X-rays showed that I also had several fractures in the right Tibial plateau, which were causing the bone to colapse and my leg to bend sideways. Several visits to an othopedic surgeon in Adelaide later it was descided to leave the leg as it was as it was to late after the accident to try and plate the fractures. The surgeon has told me that I will need a full knee replacement in a few years time. At present the leg feels fine, and I am walking / limping around with a large knee brace. My major problem now is the tendon and muscle damage that the shoulder suffered from the impact that broken the left collar bone. Hopefully it won't require surgery to repair the shoulder as I have been off work for almost 3 month now and I am so bored.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 10:10:57 am »
12 months ago I had some synthetic synovial fluid pumped under my left patella (kneecap). Best thing ever as I was struggling getting around and the discomfort was debilatating. Literally got up the next day with some spring in my step and no pain. Stuff is brilliant. J

Interesting Jerry, I'll ask my surgeon about that for my right knee.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 10:21:18 am »
Unfortunately I made the dumb mistake of dropping out of my health fund when I retired. Because of that I waited 18 months for my ankle fusion surgery (and gained a whopper dose of Golden Staph as a free bonus) and have been waiting nearly two years for my knee replacement. The catch 22 is that I finally came up on the list for the surgery for the last week of September but he wouldn't operate until I get a clearance from my ankle ortho surgeon to say that the Staph has totally cleared up. I'm now hoping that will all happen in November.

Firko my Dad (75 yo) is in the same boat as you but I think he can still get health cover but has to wait 12 months before getting any ops done.  I strongly suggest getting health cover, I know it's expensive; costs me $113 per month but I have had 4 operations in the last 12 months (the last TKR would have cost me $28,000 ! ) and only paid the $250 excess once and the anethiest out-of-pocket; $200 each time..

I've been in a public hospital before (Dandenong), I hated it, I was so scared of catching something I busted-out as quick as I could.  The ambulance took me there while I was unconcous, I got out two weeks later when I woke up.

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 12:52:50 pm »
"I was so scared of catching something I busted-out as quick as I could"  ;D

Nearly fell of my chair when I read that....

John O, was that you parked next to me at Ravo on the weekend, I was on the old husky?

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 01:12:49 pm »
geez all of a sudden I feel really lucky..on the odd occasion when I do visit a doc they ask me if I have any allergies..my answer is always the same..none except hospitals! ;)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 05:07:43 pm »
"I was so scared of catching something I busted-out as quick as I could"  ;D

Nearly fell of my chair when I read that....

John O, was that you parked next to me at Ravo on the weekend, I was on the old husky?

Yes it was Mr Gippy, it was great talking with you, hope we can continue our talk at the next event?