Author Topic: Ohlins Piggy Backs  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Mudnut

• Novice
    • View Profile
Ohlins Piggy Backs
« on: October 13, 2012, 10:50:28 pm »
Hi Guru's

I need to pick a few brains , Ive got a pair of piggy back Ohlins 79-80 vintage . Just wondering whats does a guy got to pay for a rebuild . I'm talking new seals , oil and a re-gas  ?
Also what is the colour  the bodies are painted , mine are deep read ,but its seems the original paint scheme is more of reddy / brown colour.  Any body know the bunnings equivalent or car colour code is   . Last thing where do it get a pair of stickers for the reservoirs ?

Cheers

MudNut

Offline eric318

• C-Grade
  • XR500 only
    • View Profile
    • XR500 Only
Re: Ohlins Piggy Backs
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 03:45:44 pm »
Got all parts (inc stickers) to rebuild mine from Ohlins USA.
Was not cheap. See invoice below (all prices are USD)
They work wonderful.
Color of the bodies was simply a red primer in a rattle can. Added clearcoat.

I do only XR500 79-84, preferably tricked
https://www.facebook.com/groups/207461083953032/

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 04:51:28 pm »
RADS will rebuild a pair for under $200

Husky parts usa will sell a rebuild kit for around $100 + postage, and do it yourself using maxima shock oil.
Cramers also has the parts for around the same if you count postage, but hell only send to your local bike shop, but you do get parts the next day.

Not difficult to rebuild, but can be a bit frustrating the first time as its a bit fiddly till you have the technique sorted.

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 06:32:53 pm »
Mudnut, Where Do you live?

Cheers
Noel 
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 02:42:16 pm »
I got mine rebuilt locally and it cost me around $675.  They needed new shafts and I was in a hurry for CD6, but got sick and didn't go anyway.  But the bloke replaced all 8 olives for $45 a pop and I worked out later that the old ones were OK.  So I could of got away cheaper if I had more time to shop around.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 03:10:40 pm »
I got mine rebuilt locally and it cost me around $675.  They needed new shafts and I was in a hurry for CD6, but got sick and didn't go anyway.  But the bloke replaced all 8 olives for $45 a pop and I worked out later that the old ones were OK.  So I could of got away cheaper if I had more time to shop around.
I could have rebuilt them for you Bernie, i do a few ohlins rebuilds for the vintage boys. I've got the nitrogen and all the tools here..

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 06:47:49 pm »
I could have rebuilt them for you Bernie, i do a few ohlins rebuilds for the vintage boys. I've got the nitrogen and all the tools here..

Thanks John, I'll keep that in mind.  I took them to Steve down at Springwood, he does good work. 

Offline eric318

• C-Grade
  • XR500 only
    • View Profile
    • XR500 Only
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 12:53:57 pm »
Beware, not all rebuild kits are the same... $100 will get you the bare minimum seals if I remember well.

Here are the cans I used for the colors (bought from Orchard Supply Hardware www.osh.com ) . They turned pout very good.

I do only XR500 79-84, preferably tricked
https://www.facebook.com/groups/207461083953032/