Author Topic: Insurance.  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Insurance.
« on: April 09, 2008, 08:16:40 pm »
Anyone got it for their old dirt bikes?

I've just been on insuremyride, and found the whole thing quite interesting... I was looking at theft-only cover.

The 99 Husky WR360 comes up with a premium of ~$250 with an insured value of $4100 and an excess of $400. This all sounded quite reasonable, so I tried to get a quote on the YZ250G.

After being pleasantly surprised that they recognise it and would insure it, I was less pleased to see that the premium was ~$250 with a $400 excess on an $800 insured value. So they can bash that particular one up their arse...

No obvious channel to negotiate a more realistic value.

And apparently they won't insure bikes over 30 years old - which is probably reasonable for comprehensive insurance, but quite illogical for theft-only cover.

And you must have some form of licence, even though they're happy to insure unrego'd bikes.

Weird.
Tomorrow I'll talk to Shannons.

Edit:
It makes no difference to the premium of the husky if it is rego'd or unrego'd.
Putting comprehensive cover on it pushes the premium to ~$750.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 08:22:37 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

All Things 414

Re: Insurance.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 08:28:34 pm »
Two concrete anchors per bike, big heavy fuggin' locks, electronic alarms, live next door to local bad bikie dude and Rotwieller (Well, pretty nasty cat). ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 08:31:36 pm by All Things 414 »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 08:31:49 pm »
Un named company (S.....ns) insure my 754 and the flattracker for $1****.** at all times EXCEPT when actually racing on track, yep even in pits, on trailer etc. "cost is very cheap ". You must keep a log book and regular photos of  machine. I have had a fire and lost sooooo much......Use the phone book and ...Screw a deal then a better one! ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 08:35:20 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Tony T

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 08:47:15 pm »
It's not only theft and crash damage to think about as Tim well knows unfortunately.
A fire destroyed my shed and bikes except the 2 I had with me as I was away racing when it burnt down. I lost a CR250M, 74 TS185, 75 XL250, 76 XL350 and over $30000 worth of NOS car parts and none of it was insured. The only 2 bikes that were insured were the 2 I had with me.  ::)
On the upside, I got paid new for old on everything else in there including all my old riding gear. $4000 worth!!
I don't have any of my old bikes insured even now as they're really not worth that much opposed to the cost of insurance.
However, if I had a $120k Maico 490...................  ;D

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 09:02:29 pm »
im alway doing stuff for insurance companys  (no brad not robberies) any way im pretty sure if you keep you bike in  the house your house insurance will cover them as long as you make sure you note it on your policy   the reason i say this is because were were called to a job were a huge tree fell through a house and the guy had his xy gt falcon  in a room built sorta into the veranda area  at one end of the house and the asessor said that because the car was inside so to speak his house insurance would cover his car damage and or fire and theft

Tony T

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 07:30:59 am »
My insurance company were great but their stance was that as soon as anything is related to a motor vehicle/cycle, it has to be insured separately no matter where it's parked. Parts included.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 03:52:23 pm »
Ditto that Tony, got new lawn mower ,chainsaw, fence  PUSH BIKE!! ??? etc but not one cent for lost "motor vehicles" inside outside parked in your rented Venusian space ship whatever. look at your household policies .... >:(
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Tony T

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 04:30:03 pm »
Be prepared to haggle too.
CGU were my insurance company and at first wanted me to travel all around Adelaide picking up the new stuff wherever it was cheapest. I simply asked if I could shop locally instead and they were fine with it.
Even to the point of paying me cash for a lot of stuff that I didn't want to replace. Like $4000 worth of old riding gear that I hadn't worn for years and $8.00 each for over 100 audio cassettes that were in there. Even though I couldn't prove that they were ever there.

Doc

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 04:58:56 pm »

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 05:13:29 pm »
It's good to have "friends"....
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 11:51:44 pm »
In the last few months I managed to get my bikes insured through Shannons!  1 x 1973 CR250M - $5K, 1 1978 CR250R - $5K, 1 1982 RM250Z $4K, 1 1983 YZ125K $4K and 1 1974 YZ360B - $10K - total of $28K for $35 per month.   Cover is basically for any time when not under their own power - ie riding or racing - even in the trailer when parked at some beaten down old hotel in the middle of nowhere.

Cant complain about that which is why I was quite happy to name them - haven't had to claim but so far excellent service!

Rossco ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 09:13:26 pm »
Thanks for the heads up on Shannons (and this isn't the ABC so surely we can name Companies?).
That sounds like a very good deal.

I was put off Shannons when I sought a quote for a Harley a while back.
I think the three day per week riding was the best they would cover it for.
Three days or weekly or monthly for riding, that sort of thing.

I said I wanted to ride it daily - but no they wouldn't cover that.
I said, "So if I have a prang you'll be asking my neighbours how often I ride the bike ay; the onus is on me to prove I don't ride it daily?"
He replied, "something like that..."

I didn't go with Shannons - and I didn't buy the Harley.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 11:19:14 pm »
 Good results from them among the historic roadrace community as well, covered at all times unless actually on the track. Plus, they are having a bit of a shove at the bike market at the moment, so now would be the time to have a crack at their best quote. They'd only have to be half human to knock the other companies out of the game....
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

oldfart

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 07:31:19 am »
After reading this I rang my insurance company and explained what I had . Thier reply was take photos for records plus frame and engine # . Policy was bumped up an extra $80 per annum ......this only covers them from fire and theft  on premises cover under prescribed policy  :)
Like most policies they have an out of jail clause  ::) 

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 02:47:53 pm »
I've got my Harley insured with QBE it's used daily, had two claims they paid out promptly. I have my KTM 525 insured with Suncorp, Full comprehensive insurance with a new for old replacement for the first two years and it's around $280 a year.