Author Topic: 250 British GP 1969  (Read 5457 times)

riflegreen

250 British GP 1969
« on: July 25, 2012, 04:47:31 am »
Thought tis pic might interest you , the British team and support riders , team men have the Union Jack bibs .

Left to right , Andy Roberton , Freddie Mayes , Chris Horsfield , Dave Bickers , Bryan Wade ,
Dick Clayton , Alan clough , Arthur Browning , Terry Challinoor , ( kneeling ) Malcolm Davis & last but not least Badger Goss .

Out of the eleven riders , three were current Greeves Works men & six were ex Greeves riders .

[img][/img]

Chris

Curly3

Re: 250 British GP 1969
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 06:53:58 am »
G'day Chris and welcome to our humble forum.
My brother rode at Birmingham with big Arthur during the mid 70's, he is quite a character and still racing regularly.
Do you know if any of the other riders still throw the leg?
Cheers, Steve

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 07:58:52 am »
G'day Chris and welcome
My mob are from Brum, not far from Selly Oak, the history of Scrambles and the ISDT  interests me greatly as well as Speedway, in fact I was reading, just the other day, a four page early history of Greeves, in an OZ Classic magazine, Brian Stonebridge's efforts on the 197cc Greeves against the likes of Banks, Draper, Curtis etc , on their 500s was certainly a David and Goliath effort and marked a turning point in two stroke development.
Foss

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 06:44:35 pm »
Last year we had 2 works Greeves riders here on the west side of the island.. Bryan Wade and Vic Allen.. and his brother Jim... all punted along nicely still... Bryan Wade was a crack up.. some of the stories.. :o

riflegreen

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 12:37:25 am »
Couple of pics here for sliderulz , big Arthur in the flesh and one doing the motocross thing.

For Watto HVA 1 , Bryan Wade & Vic Allan

If Brian Stonebridge was tiil alive , one wonders what might have been with Greeves but I suspect Japanese money would have loomed large .

Vic Allan & Bryan Wade are still riding , although I thinkk Vic has slowed down , he had a knee joint repacement op earlier  this year Brown Arthur is till going strong , won an IOM TT Replica last year . He is probably one of the best all rounders .

Chris

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 11:11:19 am »
As we found out on this side of the island last year..Bryan Wade is in Borneo these days...runs bike ride adventuer tours...looks like fun..!!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 11:41:56 am »
As we found out on this side of the island last year..

Western Australia  ;D
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=14776.0
Best is in the West !!

Offline higgi183

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 04:16:53 am »
Hi Guys, it's been a while since I put my leg over my bike and road it in anger but I regularly road with Dave Bickers ( he lives about 15 miles from me) in mainly Pre-65 events. It's a pleasure to watch him ride, he's pulling 1 gear higher than everybody else and looks to be out for a Sunday afternoon ride but he's going so much faster than most, not bad for a man in his senior years.
I also had the pleasure of riding with other past masters like Dick Mann, John Giles, Rolf Tiblin, Terry Challlinor and many others that still go like hell,I would like to have seen Keith Hickman ride as my 1962 Cheney Goldstar was built for him to ride the 500 cc European championship of that year.