Author Topic: RT1MX on Marks.  (Read 1188 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
RT1MX on Marks.
« on: September 28, 2012, 10:08:42 am »
Real deal RT1MX's don't come along very often. This one's pretty original right down to its original rear tyre and unobtainium aluminium front mudguard. I doubt that it's done very much work and being so original it'd be a tragedy to restore it or to prep it for racing, as you'd have to change so much of what makes this bike so cool.

FOR SALE
Ad # 3202478 September 27, 2012

1971 Yamaha RT1-360MX vin no.54913 with matching engine numbers.Engine has new crank seals,new nos Yamaha standard bore piston,new points and condenser.The bike runs great,shifts great. This bike is not restored just cleaned up and some polishing on some of the aluminum parts,Currently running the bike on pre mix the oil pump had a leak,I have another oil pump that I will include also included in purchase is a New NOS Yamaha 25mm model 284 piston and ring. Also included is the original gas tank that will need some body work and a paint job. I believe that the bike has all of it's original parts still intact.Front number plate is a replica (by the stampman)New handle bars,New seat cover and foam.Rear rim has some light pitting as do the from forks but not in slider area,rear shocks look good but not much damping left,The original front fender and a New nos bracket,fender has a few small dents and is aluminum. Front tire has been replaced with a Dunlop K490 and is in good condition,rear tire is the original one and would need replaced if going to be ridden. I believe this bike to be a low hour bike because of being on the standard bore and the original rear tire. this bike would be a good bike for a total restoration or do some suspension modifications and vintage race it. $2700
     Daniel Schneider
Saginaw, Mi
Phone: 989-295-6395 | Email
Registered Since 10/21/2009 | 41 Posts   
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: RT1MX on Marks.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 10:34:53 am »
Geez Firko.....those things grow on you...
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 11:01:48 am »
That is a gem... and the price is right.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 11:11:55 am »
Insert QuoteGeez Firko.....those things grow on you...
Yeah it's weird Joan....I'm first and foremost a Maico guy but the more I got into these things, the more I realized that they represent the 'do it yourself' side of VMX more than anything else I can think of. It's easy to restore and race a bike that was already pretty good from the factory, but the RT1/DT1 is an imperfect bike that offers us the immense satisfaction of creating a decent pre 70 race bike using our own initiatives and a bit of Aussie bush engineering. It doesn't hurt of course that they're so bloody lovely to look at and posess that wonderful motor as a starter ;).
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 12:16:08 pm »
Geez Firko.....those things grow on you...
c'mon Davey,
it's about time you went pre~70 ;)
"flat bickie"

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 01:36:45 pm »
Mic, I'm keen on a 70 Husky 400....especially since I resemble Steve McQueen......I'm weary of those early Yams....they handle like a broomstick in a tornado....but that bike is a "sweetie" as Firko would say...very tempting....never say never.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 01:59:57 pm »
Davey...With apologies for quoting myself.."It's easy to restore and race a bike that was already pretty good from the factory" which is just what the Husky is. With no disrespect intended to my old mate Husky Pete, it's just too easy to make a decent race bike out of a Husky so where's the challenge in that? "I'm weary of those early Yams....they handle like a broomstick in a tornado" is very true but if you've been following our adventures on here you'd know that most things that are  wrong with the RT1 and DT1 can be fixed.  Are you up to the challenge? 8)

TM BILL

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 03:00:45 pm »
Davey...With apologies for quoting myself.."It's easy to restore and race a bike that was already pretty good from the factory" which is just what the Husky is. With no disrespect intended to my old mate Husky Pete, it's just too easy to make a decent race bike out of a Husky so where's the challenge in that? "I'm weary of those early Yams....they handle like a broomstick in a tornado" is very true but if you've been following our adventures on here you'd know that most things that are  wrong with the RT1 and DT1 can be fixed.  Are you up to the challenge? 8)

Mark ole Joans handicapped enough as it is ( have you seen him ride  ;D ) while i have no doubt the DT RT 1s can be made into competitive racers (we have seen a few great examples on here ) the weakest link would be Joan . to give credit where credits due, joan would shine in the building and conversion process , he does build a lovely  and reliable racer  8)

He needs all the help he can get on the track  ;D however a race ready 1970 Husky and Joan  :-\ bit like feeding strawberries to pigs  :D

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 04:07:16 pm »
Ha ha ha ....thats a bit rich coming from a bloke who cant even start one of his bikes...limp wristed apparantely.