Author Topic: Header Pipe and Stinger effects on powerband?  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
Header Pipe and Stinger effects on powerband?
« on: September 19, 2012, 05:41:36 am »
What effects do Header Pipe and Stinger length and diameter have on a two-stroke powerband?  (keeping the middle sections the same)
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Header Pipe and Stinger effects on powerband?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 07:45:22 am »
Hmmm there is about 100page essay there. Short answer is smaller stinger =more power narrow band and vice versa, header is different because you can vary length, but say length was the same a steeper cone will make more top end and vice versa
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 07:56:06 am »
i'll leave this to the experts but [bore you] with a couple of experiences. Had a procircuit [or similar] on my RT1 & perked it up well for a standard motor, have an RT3 cylinder on it now & is 'too' pipey compared to RT1. Story2--same RT1 had an RT2MX top end & was fast using DT1 GYT pipe, [not sure where i put that!!], then oneday i fitted a RH pipe of a road going RZ350 twin, tapered header & what you'd think would be a strangled tail baffle & it transformed it into having lots of low down plus same heaps up top & a linear power all the way up.  had to slightly straighten the header a bit & think it had a spigot bit i hooked out at the port [start] of pipe. 20 years ago or more but 'the most strange & unlikely things work sometime. Had that RZ [or was it RD350LC] pipe on the RT1 ride to work bike & was very good & [quiet too]. Also had a 400cc IT cylinder'd [thing] that was hopeless but revved crazy & found someone had ported it to 190 degrees exhaust duration so just took a guess & add 100mm [4 inches] to the header & transformed in to useable power. Thanks. ps, made about 10 pipes for my 'Bucket Racers' [miniature road racing], suzuki mudbug [or ts100] based & motors & same story--as in sometimes the most unlikely things work. Have a set of cardboard templates i used to use & then spun some wooden tapers up to drive into the welded section to make the shape better after welding. Long [sometimes sad] story, but success too. Sorry if this is 'No' help at all but got it off my chest anyway. Cheers. [if i'm on the right track] just love your RT1 i saw the pics of up here somewhere.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 07:59:19 am »
forgot to say [but obvious] the RZ/RDLC350 pipe is off a 175cc cylinder [on a 360] funny how it things work out.